Weird facts from Subiaco

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

Weird facts from Subiaco

Post by Egan »

Just reading my programme from the Glory vs Olympic sharks grand final last year. The first recorded Australian football match at the ground took place on 4 June 1886 when Subiaco( still around) played Fremantle Imperials ( gone a long long time). The first grandstand at subiaco was built on the 17th of April 1909 and was marked with a fancy dress aussie rules match ( imagine that) between Subiaco and Leedervile ( neigbouring suburbs) to donate funds to the now famous Princess Margaret Hospital ( childrens hospital). In 1925 Subiaco hosted a soccer match between the WA State side played its first game at subiaco against the Touring English Cricket team. the result was 5-3 state team winning by 2 goals in front of 7000 people. Just shows you how weird the people from Perth actually are. :lol:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Are the Fremantle Imperials the team that was split up into East and South Fremantle sides, then later merged to join the Fremantle Dockers of today?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

East Fremantle celebrated there 100th birthday recently and were a foundation member of the league they have traditionally been one of the most traditional clubs in the WAFL and have won more premierships in WA then many others. East fremantle and south fremantle were not split up and i think Sth Fremantle started up after the Imperials were gone. I am not too sure. Maybe perthmike might know. The fremantle dockers were entered as a totally new entity and they only 7 years old like the eagles and lions, they have no historic links with any club today. Sth Fremantle is a suburb but they actualy play in the heart of fremantle. Fremantle oval while East Fremantle play in the now upper class suburb of East Fremantle Oval. Only a few minutes drive away from each other. They are the fiercest of rivals and foundation day derbies reguarly het upwards of 7,0000 attend the matches ( alot for a WAFL game ). Im absoloutly sure that Imperials were neither sth or east fremantle and i have the slightest of feelings that all three clubs played against each other at the same time. Cam great things to add to your did you know list those weird facts on subiaco.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

yeh egan, im also pretty sure that south and east fremantle were not the results of the fremantle imperials splitting up. then agen im not really interested as im a royals man! GO EAST PERTH! hehe

about the AFL part, the Eagles were set up 17 years ago (wow that long!) in 1986, playing their first game in 1987. they were made to bring the game over to the west, where it was extremly strong being the WAFL (similar to Adelaide and their league). the dorkers (also known as afl rejects) were introduced for some unknown reason into a city which was in the post-94 hype of the West Coast Eagles finals campaign (1991-1994 winning 2 Grand Finals of the 4). dont ask me WHY they were cos i dont kno or care. but they seem to be no good and just wasting WA footy's money! the sooner they go the sooner WA footy will boom once agen! :D

mike

P.S - please excuse the heavily biased view! hehehe :D