Glory to fund new stadium - at a cost

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Perthsmike I dont know what part of the ground you where at but where I was sitting, people where screaming whenever gumprecht and colosimo touched the ball, where chanting, oohing and the Shed was on fire. To me that atmosphere is so much better then what witnessed at the WACA or Subiaco and the ground has such a fantastic atmosphere. And is 10 times better then what i witnessed at the SCG when 44,901 people attended the first day. Do yourself a favour Mike go again, get closer to the shed stay 4 or 5 mins after the match, when you soak in the information.

In relation to people leaving 10 mins before it ends, part of Perth Oval tradition to beat the traffic. I just love it when we score a goal and theres already been hundreds leave the ground. Its something i despise and always wait 10 to 15 mins after the game as the glory do there lap around the ground. The entire shed and terrace area shouted Glory, Glory Glory at the end.

I think Mike your lack of experience at watching a soccer match has come to your conclusions. As an AFL, Cricket and Soccer fan who has been to many matches of both codes I would rival a Glory match above any of the other codes.

Cam that guy is a total loser, hmm he manages to get a job, has been singing at the Glory games since the start. Its even worse when he sings the glorys theme song and "well never walk alone". He infuriates alot of people. I would say he repeats it to get the atmosphere going although not needed.

Jeffles, honestly mate have never been in a physical fight in my life. Im just a nice bloke outside of the forum. And the fact im only 17. Mike is a perthite aswell, can u see me bashing up a guy thats on my side when versing you eastern staters! :wink:

P.S good thing is on the outside is the original gates, havent been altered at all. It maintains the name Perth Oval, has not been overtaken as Members Equity Stadium. A great facet of the ground. maintains history but yet is ever present in the exciting progress of soccer

Cant wait to experience the atmosphere of a lifetime again this wednesday.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

hmmm i still hold my opinion that the atmosphere was a bit of a disappointment - but i was sitting opposite the shed in the DVG family stand, perhaps thats why? still - i expected an electric atmosphere through out.

I think I'm just used to sheer numbers - eagles games have over 36,000 week in week out and even if everyone simply claps the sound is extreme. where as the noise on saturday during random play was no where near subi's. But then again once the goals are scored at the glory its totally wild! :)

Jeffles i come in peace man. lol. why fight over opinions? it wont help - if anything just makes it worse.

anyway you've convinced me to go to another game lol any suggestions which one?

mike

PS. i used to kno the singer and he's a good bloke!! so leave him alone. lol

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well good to see Ive convinced you. A mate who was in the family stand for the first match said the atmosphere is dead. That whatever you do not sit in the Family Stand. I took that and did not sit near it. Sit on the other side of the ground nearer to the Shed, there you will find an atmosphere completely different to the other side of the ground.

If you wanna experience the real atmosphere even participate in the front of the shed, chanting all though the game it is the heart of all the atmosphere. It really was a good atmosphere. The next game after tonights ( cant wait to get to the ground tonight for this thrashing!!) is on the 31st January against Adelaide, a team in the top 6 and there should be a good crowd for the game.

Especially knowing the difference between an Eagles and a Glory crowd I can see how it would be hard to adjust to the unique atmosphere that the Eagles have. I know my first glory match i wasnt so keen, as i hadnt ever watched soccer in my life. But since then going to more soccer matches year after year, getting more glory memorabillia and generally becoming more absorbed into the World Game, it gave me greater joy when going to the Glory. So mike my friend the more you go the more rewarding an experience you will get. Dont try and compare a soccer atmosphere with AFL completely different.

I must admit the Anzac Day match between the Kangaroos and Dockers in 1997 was a very special match and electric atmosphere, one of the best.

Although plenty of soccer matches have bettered that experience.
But then again once the goals are scored at the glory its totally wild!
The beauty of soccer my friend, the rarity of goals means once there scored its just one big party. Just remember STAY AWAY FROM THE FAMILY STAND

Anyways you have to go again since you invested in quality glory gear. Follow my advice and you might have in even better experience. Apart from the atmosphere. WHAT ABOUT THE STANDARD OF THE MATCH, I couldnt believe what I was seeing it was the 2000 Grand Final First Half revisited again, although the opposition wasnt to the same strength so the game was not as entertaining and the Glory werent really at full strength like they where for that match. Hopefully you got most of the rules, enjoyed the spectacle and the lack of atmosphere in the Family Stand didnt alter your enjoyment too much of the match.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

well I’ve only really seen about 5 full soccer matches in my life - including world cup finals etc so the game seemed average to me when i was there. but later i hear it was amazing and stuff so it has certainly set a benchmark :)

ok I think I’ve got a slight indication of where to sit next time - or more appropriately where NOT to sit lol. Just a question though, are any areas of the ground reserved seats for members? Because I don’t want to sit in someone’s place and have to keep moving.

have fun tonight and go glory!

mike