Traffic chaos fears for World Cup opener

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

By Kate Cox
June 15 2003
The Sun-Herald
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/ ... 10720.html

Sydney could face a traffic and transport crunch when the Rugby World Cup begins on October 10.

The opening ceremony will occur immediately before the first game between the Wallabies and Argentina, which starts at 7pm - meaning that 80,000 ticketholders will be trying to get to Telstra Stadium in the middle of peak hour.

And unlike during the Olympics, live sites with giant screens at Homebush will be open to the public, meaning that the numbers could swell even further.

The State Government was working with the Roads and Traffic Authority and State Rail to handle the potential chaos, a spokesman said.

"There will obviously be extra trains to Homebush, but possibly people working in Sydney will use some flexibility and go home later or get off earlier," he said.

advertisement

advertisement

He said the World Cup would be different to the Olympics, because the matches were spread over six weeks.

"Our main issues this time around will be the opening ceremony and the semi-finals and finals," he said.

World Cup general manager Matt Carroll said spectators would be urged to leave early.

"We will be re-routing trains and buses but the Government are not going to give a half-day holiday," he said. "But hopefully some people will take a half-day's leave."

SNogan
Bronze

Post by SNogan »

The govt should give a 1/2 day holiday i suppose. But for all the people not involved with rugby (millions of sydney siders MINUS 80 000), its a waste of an otherwise productive business day.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

This is definitely an exaggerated piece. I read the article this morning and though "what shite!"

The Olympic Park area copes with 200,000 plus people in the precinct on Good Friday when the Royal Easter Show is on WITHOUT traffic problems. I know the Show is a day long thing and the Union is just a nght thing but I still think this is worrying about nothing.

They can sure as hell cope with the 'festivities' of 80,000 people plus the 'crowds' that will turn up for the outside action, which I think will be low. RU, while good at drawing a crowd for an event, does not have a big following among the masses of people. Traffic chaos rubbish. They should do just fine.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well the WACA can't deal with traffic for a 20,000 seat crowd. You are a much better stadium then the WACA with better transport access. I would be thinking no problems at all for Telstra Stadium.

Ahh what I wouldnt do to demolish the nightmare of all stadiums.

80,000 people isnt to much to cope with, seeing the massive sight Homebush is on, its like a mini town,

A seperate question as you work at the Superdome Jeffles, is the precinct used by schools,clubs, youngsters. The Tennis Dome, Baseball Pitch and stadiums that arent being used for major comps reguarlly.

Another thing a few weeks ago the Superdome got 9,300 people for a double header in the sport of Netball. Not only would this be a women domestic crowd record, but it clearly is better then many NBL clubs would dream about. At every stadium in the NBL it would have been a sell out except Sydney Ent Centre and Vodafone Arena. It shows you the growing rise of australian netball. If only the Orioles could get of the bottom of the ladder ...........

Well done Sydneysiders, you really did support a domestic competition. Another thing of note it was bigger then any crowds for the entire season in the NSL in the Sydney region.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The baseball pitch is the Sydney Showground. Not really baseball there anymore. The Bulldogs NRL use it as one of their home grounds.

As for the other venues, the Aquatic Centre and States Sports Centre are probably the two most used. Everyday there are school groups, club squads etc there. Ditto the Hockey Centre (and the Tennis Centre to a lesser extent) tha are used around 5 times a week.

The Netball Double Header was great. It was a record domestic league crowd and the second largest netball crowd in Aust ever (short of the 10,500 at the 1991 World Champs final at the Syd Ent Cent). We were flat out. Bloody management underbudgeted catering and the lines for food and drinks were huge.

Netball has always been popular. The problem is it hasn't captured the spectator/TV market (probably because of a bias against women's sport). Hopefully it will change. It can be entertaining to watch.

Normally the netball is played at the State Sports Centre, which is very suitable since crowds are normally no more than 4000. Remember this match was a double header. The NBL double header we had in 1999 got 17,000. But I think the SuperDome has a future for hostying big matches such as internationals and major domestic league matches.