Observation

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
james_
Silver

Observation

Post by james_ »

I only discovered austadiums.com recently, great site!

It seems much forum debate centres on a desire to obtain quality stadiums with large capacities, ‘super stadiums’ one might say. This seems to be at odds with the discussion on poor crowd numbers.

The answer? Populate or perish! Large populations can sustain 40… 60… 80,000 capacity stadiums.

Should Australia’s mission be to have a 40-60,000 rectangular super stadium and a 40-60,000 oval super stadium in each major urban area?

:D

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Interesting comment, James although it would be great I do not think it is feasible in the immediate or distant future. I think Perth needs an increased capacity, I think the stadiums in all other states and territories adequately fufill there cities needs.

Fremantle Dockers 30,000 members due this year
Eagles around 40,000 members

Capacity 43,000 showing that a futher upgrade or a new stadium is needed desperately. Lets hope when the debt is repayed the WAFC can look to upgrade again. Or the government builds a super stadium some where, we desperately need one.

A comment has the final capacity of the MCG been worked out yet, Ive heard 90,000 100,000 and a 105,000, the latter figure i think would be great for all sports fans.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I know for sure the new MCG capacity will officially be over 100,000. It will be 97,000 for the Commonwealth Games due to the removal of some seating to enable the athletics track to be laid. 80% of seats will be under cover. I wonder how many it would of held if the seats were the 'standard size'. The new seats are 30% larger.