Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

do you believe in

unicorns
36%
tooth fairy
21%
santa clause
12%
Perth's new multi use stadium
30%

Total votes: 33

the crow
Gold

Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Post by the crow »

Jeffles wrote:Maybe the title of this thread should be altered. :lol: :lol:
or maybe just this :lol: :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

:lol:

Maybe this will finally get the dunces into action...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Every time I lost a tooth between the ages of 4 and 10 there was money the next day. That's more concrete evidence of the tooth fairy than there has been concrete poured for the new Perth Stadium. :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Mr Barnett also promised to tilt the new Government's capital works program to give priority to projects that encouraged investment and economic growth.

The decision is likely to delay some of the big-ticket capital works programs, including a $1billion sports stadium, that were promised by the Carpenter Government.

He said expanding the Ord River irrigation project in the state's north -- which has been labelled a potential food bowl for Australia -- would be his major infrastructure priority.

Shows you that their economic model sees the Ord River more important than bringing sporting events to Perth...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Egan wrote:Mr Barnett also promised to tilt the new Government's capital works program to give priority to projects that encouraged investment and economic growth.

The decision is likely to delay some of the big-ticket capital works programs, including a $1billion sports stadium, that were promised by the Carpenter Government.

He said expanding the Ord River irrigation project in the state's north -- which has been labelled a potential food bowl for Australia -- would be his major infrastructure priority.

Shows you that their economic model sees the Ord River more important than bringing sporting events to Perth...

one little frog could put an end to that...just like it did at homebush

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

the crow wrote:

one little frog could put an end to that...just like it did at homebush
:lol: :lol:

I would expect someone like you would plant the toad in the Ord River. :lol:

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:Mr Barnett also promised to tilt the new Government's capital works program to give priority to projects that encouraged investment and economic growth.
You hear what idiot features said this morning? "This century will be tougher than the last". Fcuk me Colin, given last century we had 2 world wars, a great depression and numerous regional wars to which Australia participated and lost tens of thousands of lives, do you know something we don't?

I guess we get the politicians we deserve.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Oh and apparently we have no money to build a new Childrens Hospital and a major Stadium.

Is there any reason whatsoever that we can't put the new childrens hospital with the new Fiona Stanley Hospital. Or is Princess Margaret such a tourist attraction that we need to rebuild in Subiaco...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Oh yeah...being patient is the game in regards to the major new stadium.

Absolute dunces...

Costs blow out but stadium still in limbo
Tim Clarke
October 17, 2008 - 3:14PM

An artist's impression of the proposed outdoor stadium at Kitchener Park in Subiaco. Photo: www.perthstadium.com.au

Sports minister Terry Waldron has said he refuses to be rushed on any decision on the in-limbo new stadium for Western Australia - despite admitting continued delays over the future of the project could push up costs even further.

A month after Colin Barnett produced his shock ousting of the Carpenter government at the state election, there has been precious little movement or comment from the new administration over the development of Subiaco Oval.

With speculation the multi-billion dollar plans for a brand new stadium at Kitchener Park are likely to be scrapped - particularly with the Royalties for Regions commitment at $700m-a-year - no news has seemed like bad news for the future of the project.

But Waldron said today that he was still getting up to speed on the issues - not quietly sharpening his pen to write off the plans. :lol:

"I am sure we are going to make a decision, and there is a need for a quality stadium in WA there is no doubt about that. It is easy to rush in and make a decision that is going to seem popular - we are not going to do that," Waldron said. :lol: :lol:

"When I am recommending to my premier and treasurer what should happen I want to make sure that I am satisfied in my own mind that it is the best thing for WA :lol:

"That process is going to take me a little while, and I am not going to be rushed into going into something that I am not comfortable with. :lol: Oh how WA Governments hate funding stadiums...

"I want to acknowledge the work that was done by the task force, and I have been looking at that closely, a lot of people have put in a lot of time and I don't want to waste that - that would be silly." Well you will acknowledge that they said built it ASAP!

As well as the new stadium, uncertainty also surrounds the future of the WACA's proposed cricket academy, with $5 million election campaign commitments from both John Howard and Alan Carpenter now meaningless given their political plights.

At the WACA today to pose with the iconic Sheffield Shield trophy, Waldron was less keen to stand by the pre-election Liberal promise that they would match the funding committed by Labor for the project earmarked for McGilvray Oval.

"We are looking at all the options open to us at the moment, the stadium issue, a whole lot of priorities for sporting facilities," Waldron said.

"I am three weeks into being a minister, have had quite a few briefings already, and I have already met with Graeme (Wood) and it is one of the things we are looking at but I cannot make a commitment at this stage

"I have got to look at the whole gamut of our facilities, I am not going to rush in and make any decision until I as a minister am properly informed. :lol: Ring me up...

"But cricket is very important and the idea of a centre of excellence is one that is very appealing."

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

It is easy to rush in and make a decision that is going to seem popular - we are not going to do that," Waldron said.

nahhh fellas think about it...take your time.....

People of Perth make sure the gound chosen is at a high enough level from sea level as it may be under water by the time these numb nuts make a decision...

i reckon the FFA will bust heads with the WAFL and take part of this money to do a propper RP stadium....

multi useless..............is what you are gonna get if they dont..

DILLIGAF

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

www.watoday.com.au

Barnett to Demetriou: Wanna pay for the stadium?
Chalpat Sonti
October 20, 2008 - 5:49PM
Premier Colin Barnett is refusing to give AFL boss Andrew Demetriou any commitments when the two men meet this week to discuss the future of a stadium in Subiaco.

Plans for a $1.1 billion, 60,000-seat stadium at Kitchener Park have been put on hold with the change of government, with Mr Barnett refusing to commit to it.

He has flagged the possibility of redeveloping nearby Subiaco Oval.

Mr Demetriou has long backed a new stadium. He brokered a deal last year with the previous government and the WA Football Commission - which preferred redeveloping 40,000-capacity Subiaco - that saw Kitchener Park get the go-ahead.

But Mr Barnett said today that while he understood the desire for a new stadium, both options had to be considered before a decision was made.

"I'll hear the AFL view. I understand the AFL would like a new stadium. Why wouldn't they," he said.

"Someone else is going to pay for it. I doubt that Andrew Demetriou will offer to pay for the stadium or contribute to it."

He would ask Mr Demetriou his view on both options, with Mr Barnett still open-minded on the choices.

Either way, a new stadium would be built as redeveloping Subiaco would mean a gradual demolition and rebuilding.

"I find it difficult in my mind to justify spending a billion dollars of taxpayers' money on 25,000 (extra seats)," Mr Barnett said.

"What I say to the AFL is a new stadium will be built."

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

lol.

What I mean to say is, um...

Nope. Just lol.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The only thing that can save us from state governments is the Macquarie Bank.

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

WAFC rejects Subi rebuild bid
23rd October 2008, 6:00 WST

Colin Barnett’s bid to put a redevelopment of Subiaco Oval back on the agenda as one of WA’s stadium options suffered another blow yesterday when the WA Football Commission said it would cost as much or more than a new stadium.

The WAFC’s stadium project director Peter Abery warned that the current site had severe limitations and would be difficult and expensive to turn into a multi-purpose stadium.

His warning echoed the words of former stadium task force chairman John Langoulant and came on the eve of a critical briefing by key stadium task force consultants for the Premier and Sports Minister Terry Waldron.

Mr Barnett spoke favourably of a gradual MCG style rebuild on the current Subiaco Oval site on Perth radio on Tuesday.

“The rebuilding is not just gutting it and fixing it up, it is actually talking a whole section of the ground out, levelling the site by an eighth, re-building that eighth and then working your way around the ground,” he said.

Mr Abery said a staged redevelopment of Subiaco would cause significant interim problems because of diminished stadium capacity.

“There is an issue when you try to rebuild a redeveloped Subiaco because you end up with significantly less capacity while you rebuild it,” he said. “The MCG has 100,000 and can drop down to 70,000 or even 60,000. It wasn’t that much of a problem. The second issue, according to studies done by the WAFC, is that if you progressively build round stand by stand it costs as much as a new stadium would. When you are building over time you have far greater escalations obviously than would be the case if you are building it as a one-off.”

He added that the current site had “significant location limitations”, saying any development of the Southern Stand would overhang Roberts Road and overshadow homes.

A spokesman for Mr Barnett said that no decision had been taken on the stadium or rebuild options. “While he has stated he is finding it difficult to justify the $1 billion cost, the State Government has not yet reached the point where the options are being considered in detail to progress the decision,” he said.

But Mr Abery said the Government also had to be careful about misleading costings being used in the public debate on the stadium.

“The true current cost of the new stadium is about $700 million,” he said.

MARK DUFFIELD

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

:lol:

This needs to be turned into the movie. the 7-8 years of Perth talking about its major stadium and it still has not a f***ing clue on how to build the thing :lol: :lol: