North Hobart Oval

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Re: North Hobart Oval

Post by Spirit of Santos »

hot_dogma wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:
Spirit of Santos wrote:
Abel Tasman FC.

Just putting it out there.
like Vasco de Gama? I like it. I've read a book about Brazillian football over the break and that sort of appeals to me.
It would never happen in a million years but Van Diemen's Land FC as the name would make me do flips.

I'd bet my house that it will be the Tasmanian Devils.

Tasmanian Tigers works well but the AFL and NRL already have Tigers... plus Tassie Tigers sounds abit like some sort of Tasmanian separatist group.

Still, Abel Tasman FC with the unofficial nickname of the Devils, you can't go wrong.

smitty
Bronze

Post by smitty »

hmm, not a big fan of Abel Tasman FC...i understand the significance of it, but it doesn't really suit an australian sporting club, like it would in south america (like Vasco De Gama does).

Tasmania Devils/Tigers is the right choice....maybe a bit cliche, but there's nothing wrong with that. Animal names are much, much better than "innovative" nicknames (eg. Victory, Roar, Glory, Heart etc.)

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Actually the name of the club is Tasmania United FC.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

smitty wrote:hmm, not a big fan of Abel Tasman FC...i understand the significance of it, but it doesn't really suit an australian sporting club, like it would in south america (like Vasco De Gama does).

Tasmania Devils/Tigers is the right choice....maybe a bit cliche, but there's nothing wrong with that. Animal names are much, much better than "innovative" nicknames (eg. Victory, Roar, Glory, Heart etc.)
It won't happen, not because it dosent suit, but because the Michael Searle's of this country.

Abel Tasman discovered Tasmania (never mind the blacks), Tasmania is named after him, his name sounds cool... it suits perfectly.

It would make the new club stand out in a competition full of new clubs with meaningless, crappy names.

Also any Tasmanian A-League club is likely to be perennially rubbish on the field - poorly performing teams just can't afford to have crappy names. Do you think South Sydney could have survided 30 years of nothingness if their name had been South Sydney Spirit? Who's going to support that at the bottom of the table? Who's gonna march for that to be re-addmitted?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Isn't the basketball team still called the Devils?

They may have a whinge about that if upstarts took the name.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

The team that played in the Victorian Football League for a few years was called the Tasmanian Devils Football Club, but they've since disappeared.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Abel Tasman FC is insanely good.

At least 7,367 times better than Sporting Melbourne.

We need to bring university-based teams back into Australian professional sport.

Sydney Academicals for the win.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ Post of the year.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

This is the point where I worry that Egan shares my taste in novels.

wildcat
Bronze

Post by wildcat »

Its pretty sad what North Hobart has become these days, its a great ground to watch football at. One of my highlights of the ground was when super league started and the Melbourne Storm played Adelaide Rams in the pre season game.

Hard to see it being further developed, no area for car parking and little chance at lights, without lights the place has no future.

Ideally for a rectangle oval I think the Showgrounds in Glenorchy is the way to go. Was a great venue for the pacing, but it now has no tenant as the pacing moved across the road to elwick. The showgrounds aren't smack bang in the middle of a residential area, it has a big grassed oval area in the middle, and some basic lights already set up. Don't forget back in the 90's Elwick talked up as the #1 location for the failed AFL stadium in Hobart for the tassie AFL team.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The Mercury reports that Melbourne Storm are considering a pre season match there against the Broncos next year.

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

Bump for a very old thread!

You've probably seen the noise about a Tassie A-League team recently. The bid team is planning to base itself in a redeveloped North Hobart Oval.

There has been a lot of discussion about whether this would mean it was rectangular in shape, but given the proposal has the support of the Hobart Demons (Aussie rules) club that is based there, I'd suggest it will remain oval ("multi-purpose").

I know a lot of us would love it to be exclusively rectangular but it's not looking that way. Still, no plans have been made public and the A-League bid is only leaking a bit of news now and again, so we don't really know.

Still, the backers of the bid (Harry Stamoulis and Robert Belteky) are property developers - perhaps they'd like to buy the ground from the Hobart City Council and build and own it themselves!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Interesting chuq.

I think the Fremantle bid will be utilising Fremantle Oval. I think investors want tier 2 stadiums with cheaper rent like the MLS model. Where Hobart may come unstuck against a place like Freo is Broadcast viewing numbers.

They could look at building apartments close to the ground ala Claremont Oval.