North Hobart Oval

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Chuq
Bronze

North Hobart Oval

Post by Chuq »

This ground has been mentioned in other threads, but doesn't have a dedicated thread of its own, so here it is.

From today's Mercury:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... 5_afl.html
North Hobart's light fading

BRETT STUBBS

December 23, 2009 09:30am

THE future of Tasmania's spiritual home of football is clouded after the SFL moved next season's finals.

The SFL preliminary, grand final and representative games have been moved from North Hobart Oval and will now be played at KGV after the SFL reached an agreement with TSL club Glenorchy to relocate its offices and biggest matches to the Magpies' nest.

Already surpassed by Aurora Stadium and Bellerive Oval, North Hobart suffered the indignation of being stripped of a TSL final last season due to the state of its playing surface.

SFL president Paul Harriss said KGV's better playing surface, corporate and supporter facilities, plus the possibility of lights in the future, all attracted the SFL to leave North Hobart.

continued..
IMHO this bodes well for the ground be redeveloped as a rectangular ground in the future, in the event of an A-League team :)

gyfox
Platinum

Re: North Hobart Oval

Post by gyfox »

Chuq wrote:This ground has been mentioned in other threads, but doesn't have a dedicated thread of its own, so here it is.

From today's Mercury:

BRETT STUBBS

THE future of Tasmania's spiritual home of football is clouded after the SFL moved next season's finals.

The SFL preliminary, grand final and representative games have been moved from North Hobart Oval and will now be played at KGV after the SFL reached an agreement with TSL club Glenorchy to relocate its offices and biggest matches to the Magpies' nest.

Already surpassed by Aurora Stadium and Bellerive Oval, North Hobart suffered the indignation of being stripped of a TSL final last season due to the state of its playing surface.

SFL president Paul Harriss said KGV's better playing surface, corporate and supporter facilities, plus the possibility of lights in the future, all attracted the SFL to leave North Hobart.

continued..
IMHO this bodes well for the ground be redeveloped as a rectangular ground in the future, in the event of an A-League team :)
Locals won't permit stadium lighting to the 1400Lux required for TV broadcasting.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Surely Nimby will be over ruled if they are serious about providing a venue for Tasmania United...

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

gyfox wrote:
Chuq wrote:This ground has been mentioned in other threads, but doesn't have a dedicated thread of its own, so here it is.

From today's Mercury:

BRETT STUBBS

continued..
Locals won't permit stadium lighting to the 1400Lux required for TV broadcasting.
Is this written into the local planning scheme as an overlay that there shall be no lights of note at North Hobart Oval or is it just rumblings of discontent from local residents when the issue has been raised in the past?

What's the maximum they will allow? I'm wondering if they could install lights that could allow night matches but then bring in portable daymakers when they need to broadcast games like what some NRL grounds used to do?

Not sure if Egan is online due to being away but perhaps someone else could answer this, what lux is the lights at ME Bank Stadium? They are by far the worst lights in the A-league yet still host night matches. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they are below the benchmarked minimum requirement but they still use them anyway.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

There are always other options like getting lights further up and beaming more down on the ground, with caps to stop side spillage, like what you see around airports.

Or build a big enough stadium that light doesn't spill out :D . Like there is very little light spillage from Skilled Park.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Free net at my hotel FTW

http://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=358

"Presently they emit 1171 lux"

I am pretty sure the lights are being upgraded to TV quality for the Force next season...Must have been an A-League concession for the ground like Hindmarsh did not have a video screen...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

hot_dogma wrote:
gyfox wrote:

From today's Mercury:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... 5_afl.html IMHO this bodes well for the ground be redeveloped as a rectangular ground in the future, in the event of an A-League team :)
Is this written into the local planning scheme as an overlay that there shall be no lights of note at North Hobart Oval or is it just rumblings of discontent from local residents when the issue has been raised in the past?

What's the maximum they will allow? I'm wondering if they could install lights that could allow night matches but then bring in portable daymakers when they need to broadcast games like what some NRL grounds used to do?

Not sure if Egan is online due to being away but perhaps someone else could answer this, what lux is the lights at ME Bank Stadium? They are by far the worst lights in the A-league yet still host night matches. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they are below the benchmarked minimum requirement but they still use them anyway.
The locals have been very vocal about Council's plan to install lighting of 150 Lux(by memory - will see if i can chase up the Council minutes to confirm this). Council decided to defer because they didn't have the money and because they wanted to see what would happen elsewhere in the town. Since then Bellerive has got its lights and the Council has decided not to install lighting.

Installing 1400 Lux lighting in a purely residential area is not really good practice. Spill illumination and glare are the issues of concern. They can be controlled but not eliminated and in a ground with very few small stands it is nigh on impossible.

EDIT: Just checked it out. The locals were objecting to 300 Lux lighting and it was going to cost $500,000 according to HCC.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Egan wrote:Surely Nimby will be over ruled if they are serious about providing a venue for Tasmania United...
Abel Tasman FC.

Just putting it out there.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

modern Hd tv requires 2000 lux and the next step is 3D tv broadcasts which may require more still. Technology is moving fast and will dictate required lighting levels.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

the crow wrote:modern Hd tv requires 2000 lux and the next step is 3D tv broadcasts which may require more still. Technology is moving fast and will dictate required lighting levels.
It is probably easier and cheaper to start with a new site to provide an A-League home for TUFC. The 3 tiers of Government have spent $32M over 10 years on Aurora for 4 games of AFL so similar spending wouldn't be too much to ask for. Aurora has 13,000 seats and 10,000 standing room. What could you get a cheap 13,000 seat rectangular stadium, with lights, for these days? $40M?

EDIT: That $32M includes the initial $600,000 and recent $200,000 contribution from the AFL.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

What location would they use though?

They could redevelop the Showgrounds or maybe the industrial area around Derwent Park.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

hot_dogma wrote:What location would they use though?

They could redevelop the Showgrounds or maybe the industrial area around Derwent Park.
The Rugby Park near Cornelian Bay isn't a bad site. It was suggested as a World Cup stadium site but it isn't really big enough but a 10-15,000seat stadium would go well there. Also a redevelopment of some of the industrial areas might be possible. there is a saw mill beside the railway line at Glenorchy that would be a fabulous site but the saw mill is still a going concern. Pity it isn't the one that is shutting down in the next couple of months.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Spirit of Santos wrote:
Egan wrote:Surely Nimby will be over ruled if they are serious about providing a venue for Tasmania United...
Abel Tasman FC.

like Vasco de Gama? I like it. I've read a book about Brazillian football over the break and that sort of appeals to me.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Simmo79 wrote:
Spirit of Santos wrote:
Abel Tasman FC.

like Vasco de Gama? I like it. I've read a book about Brazillian football over the break and that sort of appeals to me.
It would never happen in a million years but Van Diemen's Land FC as the name would make me do flips.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think they have a hockey team called the Van Demons.