Geelong Stadium-FIFA World Cup Bid 2022

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
dibo
Gold

Re: Geelong Stadium-FIFA World Cup Bid 2018/2022

Post by dibo »

beastjim wrote:I get 126m across (stand edge to stand edge) and 183m long.
Makes it comparable to many athletics venues, if a little shorter.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

dibo wrote:
You can fit an athletics track in under 108m and you need about 186m length.

If they keep the original width of Kardinia Park the same it would make quite a respectable A-League venue but of course its not the ideal shape and size.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

The width especially in WC mode is acceptable but they need to shorten the length.

The thing that saddens me is the lack of legacy when it reverts back to an AFL ground.

The FFA must force the government to build a 15k rectangular venue somewhere in Geelong to compensate. Doesn't have to be anything special, just something that can be expanded. Something along the lines of Parra or Central Coast. It can then be used for warm up/training purposes during the tournament.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

RobertHeatleyStand wrote:The width especially in WC mode is acceptable but they need to shorten the length.

The thing that saddens me is the lack of legacy when it reverts back to an AFL ground.

The FFA must force the government to build a 15k rectangular venue somewhere in Geelong to compensate. Doesn't have to be anything special, just something that can be expanded. Something along the lines of Parra or Central Coast. It can then be used for warm up/training purposes during the tournament.
Someone needs to get cracking on starting up a Geelong A-League club for that to happen. As the second biggest (?) city in Victoria it would be a good option if there was enough interest.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

gyfox wrote:
RobertHeatleyStand wrote:The width especially in WC mode is acceptable but they need to shorten the length.

Someone needs to get cracking on starting up a Geelong A-League club for that to happen. As the second biggest (?) city in Victoria it would be a good option if there was enough interest.
I'm going by the build it and they will come mantra - it worked for GC and Townsville.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

gyfox wrote:
dibo wrote:
You can fit an athletics track in under 108m and you need about 186m length.

If they keep the original width of Kardinia Park the same it would make quite a respectable A-League venue but of course its not the ideal shape and size.
Can fit, sure, but you see so many athletics stadia with that eliptical shape like the London, Berlin, Beijing etc. Olympic stadia. They'd be ~126m across (which of course means you could comfortably put a FIFA compliant football field *across* the ground.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

The field size probably won't change, Geelong use it to their advantage, plus there could be constraints to the size of the site (KP isn't that big).

Bear in mind that the stands do come in, the pitch is going to be lowered and rows of seating are placed on inside the perimeter of the field to bring seats closer to the play. It is evident in the video ( :lol: @ title), GFC ultimately want a ~40k stadium and these seats might be what makes the capacity World Cup-compliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvUqJmkqTg

This system could potentially be fitted to the MCG but the upper tiers there most likely aren't steep enough to compensate for the lower pitch.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... _news.html

FIFA on way to Skilled Stadium to see World Cup bid
Alex Oates

June 21st, 2010

GEELONG'S chances of hosting World Cup matches in 2022 could improve when FIFA delegates arrive here next month as part of an evaluation tour.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter will send a team of six delegates to evaluate Australian venues, including Skilled Stadium, which is earmarked for a $25 million upgrade, on July 26.

The three-day tour will include visits to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and tours of the MCG and ANZ Stadium. They will meet Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, while Federal Sports Minister Kate Ellis will travel with the delegation.

Have your say on the feedback form below

Geelong's civic leaders yesterday welcomed news of the tour, which is crucial to Australia's chances of showcasing the world game.

"It's a true milestone... a positive step forward and as a community it's one we'll welcome with open arms," Geelong MP Ian Trezise said.

Football Federation Australia is working with state and federal governments to finalise the tour and Mr Trezise was looking forward to welcoming the delegates.

"We need to put our best foot forward and I've got no doubt they'll step away more than impressed about Geelong as a city and our facilities and, of course, Skilled Stadium as a top-level stadium," he said.

South Barwon MP Michael Crutchfield said civic leaders and the region's elite sportsmen had an obligation to sell the city.

"We need to demonstrate how close Geelong is to Melbourne. Geelong is commutable, it's liveable, we've got the beaches, the golf courses, the wines and the facilities that people find attractive," he said.

Australia is FIFA's third evaluation stop, with Japan and South Korea the first countries on the itinerary.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Dan wrote:
...............GEELONG'S chances of hosting World Cup matches in 2022 could improve when FIFA delegates arrive here next month as part of an evaluation tour.......................

.............."We need to put our best foot forward and I've got no doubt they'll step away more than impressed about Geelong as a city and our facilities and, of course, Skilled Stadium as a top-level stadium," he said..................

Is it me,or do you think that we are best served NOT to take FIFA delegates to Skilled?
Just show them the renders!

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Dan wrote:
Dan wrote:
...............GEELONG'S chances of hosting World Cup matches in 2022 could improve when FIFA delegates arrive here next month as part of an evaluation tour.......................

.............."We need to put our best foot forward and I've got no doubt they'll step away more than impressed about Geelong as a city and our facilities and, of course, Skilled Stadium as a top-level stadium," he said..................

Is it me,or do you think that we are best served NOT to take FIFA delegates to Skilled?
Just show them the renders!
The FIFA inspection party normally decide what they want to see. They like to confirm in the flesh what they see on paper and in the renders. I am very surprised that the article says they are only going to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane... they must be rushing the Inspection this time around.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Geelong... A potential World Cup host in a regional Australian city!

Polokwane.... A World Cup host in a regional South African City

Please...Dont go to Geelong!

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

I hope they go to Newcastle instead.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Dan wrote:Geelong... A potential World Cup host in a regional Australian city!

Polokwane.... A World Cup host in a regional South African City

Please...Dont go to Geelong!
Don't be so worried... if FIFA want us to have the Cup then the report will just say something like this:-
The latter already has a building but because of the importance of the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, the Inspection Group believes that it would be better to build an entirely new stadium.
The latter they were referring to was Polokwane.

gyfox
Platinum

Re: Geelong Stadium-FIFA World Cup Bid 2022

Post by gyfox »

And this is what we would have got if we put AAMI or Subi in the bid:-
The inspection team considers that special mention should be made of the Maracana stadium, as the city of Rio de Janeiro would be expected to stage some of the key matches in the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ in the event it is awarded to Brazil. The stadium, in its current state, does not meet the standards required to stage a FIFA World Cup™ match. A more comprehensive renovation project would have to be envisaged if it were finally chosen to become a FIFA World Cup™ stadium.
Just insert the relevant name of the stadium, city and Australia where appropriate.

Timbo
Silver

Re: Geelong Stadium-FIFA World Cup Bid 2022

Post by Timbo »

I think FIFA would leave Australia with the following:

MCG not acceptable.
Kardina not acceptable.
Adelaide Oval not acceptable.
Gold Coast Stadium borderline acceptable (on par with Rustenburg).

This is not my NSW bias - this is going off what was dismissed as unacceptable in South Africa and the dissing of the Macarana for Brazil.

Lets face it, if the Macarana got slammed and it's possible oozing with more football legacy than any other stadium on Earth, I don't think the MCG has a chance.