Geelong Stadium-FIFA World Cup Bid 2022

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
gyfox
Platinum

Re: Geelong Stadium-FIFA World Cup Bid 2022

Post by gyfox »

Timbo wrote:I think FIFA would leave Australia with the following:

MCG not acceptable.
Kardina not acceptable.
Adelaide Oval not acceptable.
Gold Coast Stadium borderline acceptable (on par with Rustenburg).

This is not my NSW bias - this is going off what was dismissed as unacceptable in South Africa and the dissing of the Macarana for Brazil.

Lets face it, if the Macarana got slammed and it's possible oozing with more football legacy than any other stadium on Earth, I don't think the MCG has a chance.
The first thing that FIFA look at is public safety and this is where the Maracana failed. A fair percentage of the work required (less than half) is to provide better access and emergency egress. I don't think the MCG has any problems in this area. It would be interesting to know though how much of the bottom bowl would be covered with those blue covers because sight lines are interrupted by the team benches, officials bench, camera positions, and the 900-1000mm high pitch perimeter signage 4-5m from the sideline that FIFA get paid a fortune by their Partners to have around the ground.
Last edited by gyfox on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

We need Max Markson to join the contigent to propagandise our stadiums that we are going to use...LOL

Saying that only the US and UK would have most of their stadiums built.

We have to show our stadium construction times for everywhere other than WA...Because the ones here are absolutely crap.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

You gotta laugh at the the Geelong councilors who proclaim..."Bring FIFA down to Geelong and show off our magnificant facilities and Skilled Stadium..That will no doubt..impress them..."

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Dan wrote:You gotta laugh at the the Geelong councilors who proclaim..."Bring FIFA down to Geelong and show off our magnificant facilities and Skilled Stadium..That will no doubt..impress them..."
I think there is a general lack of understanding of the standard of venues that is required. I just hope that if FIFA say no because of the standard of our proposed venues that they say it clearly.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

gyfox wrote:
Dan wrote:You gotta laugh at the the Geelong councilors who proclaim..."Bring FIFA down to Geelong and show off our magnificant facilities and Skilled Stadium..That will no doubt..impress them..."
I think there is a general lack of understanding of the standard of venues that is required. I just hope that if FIFA say no because of the standard of our proposed venues that they say it clearly.
I think you're hitting the nail on the head perfectly.

I reckon it's got so much to do with most councillors/MPs being very much AFL/Rugby fans.

I really really reallllllllllllly think some of them think that AFL/NRL standard venues are what we need. We're used to hosting things like the Rugby World Cup where such venues would be A1.

I still think, after all of the head bashing and all of their effort, that the FFA has failed to convince the authorities the standards that are required.

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

If these authorities have agreen to build a FIFA compliant stadium, that all we need to hear. FIFA will tell them to go build something better and it will have to happen.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Timbo wrote:

I reckon it's got so much to do with most councillors/MPs being very much AFL/Rugby fans.

I really really reallllllllllllly think some of them think that AFL/NRL standard venues are what we need. We're used to hosting things like the Rugby World Cup where such venues would be A1.

I still think, after all of the head bashing and all of their effort, that the FFA has failed to convince the authorities the standards that are required.
To be fair, I would say the stadium in Geelong would be in the top 10 AFL stadiums in the world

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

bazza wrote:
Timbo wrote:

To be fair, I would say the stadium in Geelong would be in the top 10 AFL stadiums in the world
Here in Victoria,that means Top 10 in the World!

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

Dan wrote:Here in Victoria,that means Top 10 in the World!
Exactly why, as gyfox says, FIFA would need to be very clear. And guessing they are, it still probably won't stop pollies/administrators getting all hot under the collar if (when?) one of these top 10 is knocked on the head. "it's an outrage, the <insert oval> is an icon of world sport and FIFA should feel honoured to be allowed to use the ground" etc etc

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

jowel wrote:If these authorities have agreen to build a FIFA compliant stadium, that all we need to hear. FIFA will tell them to go build something better and it will have to happen.
Its not quite that simple... One of the England Host Venue bidders got legal advice that they would be able to withdraw their bid if it got too costly for them. Can't be bothered searching for it again.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

WIll Geelong commit to playing more games at KP once the stand is built?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ Unlikely due to the amount of supporters they have in Melbourne and revenue they would make for games against Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton if they ever played them at home.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I presume this is to replace the Doug Wade stand, & not the hill at the other end?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Jeffles wrote:WIll Geelong commit to playing more games at KP once the stand is built?
As I understand it, Geelong want to play 9 games a year currently, but the AFL won't schedule that many there.

By the time it's finished they'll be back to being sh*t again and capacity won't be so much of an issue.