Ballarat to get AFL-standard stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Rob
Gold

Re: Ballarat to get AFL-standard stadium

Post by Rob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Totally agree, but then it doesn't involve my club (or even my primary code) TBH as a football fan I'm happy to see the AFL and NRL p|ss money up against the wall in a futile attempt to sustain the unsustainable.
LOL - from someone that follows the A-League. They have what, 1 sustainable club? The rest are making losses.

Whilst I think this 'tax' is just fans of some clubs supporting cheap ticket prices for Victorians, you'd be pretty pissed off if the FFA did the same to Adelaide United when it couldnt find an owner.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:
Jeffles wrote:It may be AFL standards in quality but 15k is not AFL standard capacity for Victoria.
No, but it is for North Melbourne.

Not that $50m will get you much of a 15k capacity stadium either.
The cost of Aurora Stadium including the current upgrade is $32M and has about 14,000 seats in its 23,000 capacity and caters for 900 corporates.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Rob wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Totally agree, but then it doesn't involve my club (or even my primary code) TBH as a football fan I'm happy to see the AFL and NRL p|ss money up against the wall in a futile attempt to sustain the unsustainable.
LOL - from someone that follows the A-League. They have what, 1 sustainable club? The rest are making losses.

Whilst I think this 'tax' is just fans of some clubs supporting cheap ticket prices for Victorians, you'd be pretty pissed off if the FFA did the same to Adelaide United when it couldnt find an owner.
You can LOL all you want mate, its tough work setting up a new sports league in Australia. Luckily the FFA have the Socceroos and some great fans willing to put in their own hard earned in these tougher economic times to not only get the A-League up and running, but keep it up, running and growing. I'll be able to take my kids to their first a-League game in a few years, top level football is here to stay in Australia. As the standard continues to improve, the league will continue to gain popularity and with more fans through the turnstiles, more money will come in to the game. An increased audience in the ground will lead to more sponsorship and TV coverage...FFA is playing the long game on this one...I trust Frank Lowy's business sense a lot more than I would trust Andrew Demetriou's business accumen. The creation of GCSuns & GWS in his quixotic chase of the $1bn TV rights I feel have the potential to seriously undermine the financial stability of the AFL competition, especially if the $1bn deal doesn't eventuate. This equalisation tax is just shuffling deck chairs on a big ship departing Southampton:)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

WTF is it with rants that end in a :) - that means fa.

The AFL will get their billion for sure.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Jeffles wrote:WTF is it with rants that end in a :) - that means fa.

The AFL will get their billion for sure.
The smile is there because unlike a lot of people, I believe that Football fans and Aussie Rules fans can get along, I don't want this turning into a Football vs Australian Rules slanging match, the :) implies that I am debating good naturedly (or at least attempting to)

I'm not so sure about the $1bn, the reason the last rights deal was so large was Kerry Packer was a stubborn git and he knew that 7/10 would crawl over cut glass to get one up on him... If the economy doesn't pick up the commercial channels mightn't be so sure they could sell the advertising space to fund such a deal. And its not like the AFL has SOO or Socceroos games to dangle as a carrot.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

The rights will be worth whatever the networks are willing to pay. Their motivation, scheduling capabilities, ability to pay, ratings or whatever factor we think is relevant is essentially irrelevant if for example, as you point out, they simply want to trump each other.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote: You can LOL all you want mate, its tough work setting up a new sports league in Australia. Luckily the FFA have the Socceroos and some great fans willing to put in their own hard earned in these tougher economic times to not only get the A-League up and running, but keep it up, running and growing. I'll be able to take my kids to their first a-League game in a few years, top level football is here to stay in Australia. As the standard continues to improve, the league will continue to gain popularity and with more fans through the turnstiles, more money will come in to the game. An increased audience in the ground will lead to more sponsorship and TV coverage...FFA is playing the long game on this one...I trust Frank Lowy's business sense a lot more than I would trust Andrew Demetriou's business accumen. The creation of GCSuns & GWS in his quixotic chase of the $1bn TV rights I feel have the potential to seriously undermine the financial stability of the AFL competition, especially if the $1bn deal doesn't eventuate. This equalisation tax is just shuffling deck chairs on a big ship departing Southampton:)
I still LOL.....at the double standards.

New AFL teams have the potential to seriously undermine the financial stability of the AFL.

New A-League teams are part of the FFA's glorious march to the top.

I mean honestly.....

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

He finally gets it.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

yob wrote:He finally gets it.
Exactly....Manifest Destiny and all that...Forza Frank Lowy and the FFA!

RooBlu
Bronze

Post by RooBlu »

Of course soccer and all codes can co-exist. Luckily Ballarat has a professional standard soccer facility as well. Design of the new stands for Eureka Stadium are now locked in and construction of the remainder of Stage 1 is scheduled to commence by the end of July 16.

RooBlu
Bronze

Ballarat to get AFL-standard stadium

Post by RooBlu »

Of course Mars Stadium is now approaching seven years since the first stage of redevelopment for AFL. Since then it has undergone a second upgrade where two new covered entrances, a food kiosk, upgrades to change facilities for players and umpires to accommodate females and the main standing hill was partially concreted to create a terrace see below:

The cancellation of the Commonwealth Games saw the Victorian Government still commit to completing the stadium in what would have become its "Legacy" post-games configuration. Last Thursday 11th April, the State Minister for Sport visited Mars Stadium and released artists renders of the new stands confirming that works for the demolition of the adjacent old Ballarat Showgrounds would commence from July and that works to build a new athletics centre and the new stands at Mars Stadium would commence from January 2025 to be completed by late 2026. The Mars Stadium upgrades are to include an additional 5000 permanent seats, improved disabled access (including lifts), improved landscaping and pedestrian zones to link the stadium and the new athletics centre. The athletics centre will include an international standard competition track, storage pavilion, a new club pavilion, car parking and night lighting. There is no indication at this stage whether the existing lighting at Mars Stadium will be replaced or upgraded.

So far Austadiums has not posted any stories or news related to these upgrades, but a visit to the State Government "Development Victoria" website (under "Projects") is where images are freely accessible.