Ballarat to get AFL-standard stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
wolves and victory man
Silver

Ballarat to get AFL-standard stadium

Post by wolves and victory man »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 5896525770
COUNTRY footy fans are set to score a $50 million goal, with the State Government believed to have secretly committed to a new AFL-standard stadium in the goldfields city of Ballarat.
Premier John Brumby this week confirmed long-term plans to upgrade Eureka Stadium.

The suburban football ground would be transformed into a big multi-purpose venue in one of regional Victoria's fastest-growing areas, in the belief it can potentially host a handful of AFL games each season.

The North Melbourne Football Club is keen to play several home and away matches in Ballarat, given its partnership with the Ballarat City Council.

North Melbourne chief executive Eugene Arocca said the Roos could play interstate clubs there such as Western Sydney, Gold Coast, Fremantle and Port Adelaide.

"Ballarat has been on our radar for two years and we have been lobbying the Government to consider the possibility and the logistics of creating a regional-based stadium, particularly in Ballarat," Mr Arocca said.

But the State Government hopes other Victorian-based AFL clubs would be tempted to play several other games against low-drawing interstate teams at the proposed venue.

The Government had committed $1 million for an upgrade of Ballarat's Eureka Stadium to host NAB Cup pre-season matches.

But it now plans to build a new stadium that could potentially be used as a training base if Australia won the rights to host soccer's World Cup in 2022, as well as become a boutique base for some AFL matches.

It is believed Mr Brumby confirmed his commitment to the project at a private function this week.

A spokesman for the Premier confirmed the Government would not be opposed to the idea.

"The Government is always keen to support big events in regional Victoria," he said.

However, sources close to the Premier told the Sunday Herald Sun he had a long-term vision of turning the suburban football ground into a 15,000-seat stadium.

Mr Brumby faces an election in November and would hope his commitment to Ballarat would help his government's cause.

Mr Arocca said North Melbourne was committed to Ballarat.

He said the Kangaroos had held many meetings with Ballarat Council over the past two years about the prospect of bringing more AFL action to the city.

"We have spoken to the Mayor of Ballarat and the CEO and they are committed to creating a stadium that will accommodate somewhere between 10,000-15,000 fans," he said.

"I would think that, for an AFL match in season, you would need at least 15,000 (seats). You would need a level of comfort that members and supporters are used to in Melbourne.

"Obviously, it would be used for sporting activities in that region and I would presume it would include rugby or soccer."

The AFL welcomed the potential investment.

"We always welcome the support of football facilities throughout Victoria and particularly any future upgrade of the facility at Ballarat," a spokesman said.

"The proposed development would be a great boost for local football and would mean the ground could be considered as a possible option when deciding the fixturing of AFL games in the years beyond 2012."

Ballarat mayor Judy Verlin said she was delighted by the proposal.

yob
Platinum

Re: Ballarat to get AFL-standard stadium

Post by yob »

North Melbourne will get bored of it after 3 seasons.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:North Melbourne will get bored of it after 3 seasons.
Or Ballarat will get bored of North Melbourne first.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It may be AFL standards in quality but 15k is not AFL standard capacity for Victoria.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Reading the comments section in the Hun is quiote funny, apparently Ballarat is smack bang in the midle of Premier John Brumby's electorate with the Vic due to go to the polls sometime this year..coincidence??...ya havin a laff!

Are there any pics going around..I loves me stadium p0rn! even if it is the result of pork-barelling!;)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:It may be AFL standards in quality but 15k is not AFL standard capacity for Victoria.
It is for Kangaroos v Dockers games. Even Melbourne v Dockers...

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Jeffles wrote:It may be AFL standards in quality but 15k is not AFL standard capacity for Victoria.
No, but it is for North Melbourne.

Not that $50m will get you much of a 15k capacity stadium either.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Egan wrote:
It is for Kangaroos v Dockers games. Even Melbourne v Dockers...
Don't forget North/Melbourne v Gold Coast *Shudder* Suns, Western Sydney Lamenames and Port Adelaide Power. Although isn't one of Melbourne, Kangaroos, Bulldogs or Richmond looking at Hobart?

And Rob it depends on how cheap/temporary you are going to go. $50 million could get you 15k easily if you go with metal bleachers ect.

Merlin_Wiese
Bronze

Post by Merlin_Wiese »

beastjim wrote:Don't forget North/Melbourne v Gold Coast *Shudder* Suns, Western Sydney Lamenames and Port Adelaide Power. Although isn't one of Melbourne, Kangaroos, Bulldogs or Richmond looking at Hobart?
Read in the Herald Sun today that they believe the Kangaroos and the AFL have signed a deal to play 4 games a year from 2012 at Bellerive Oval. You just wonder if that this deal is official, it might just kill off the plan to play games in Ballarat, particularly as North Melbourne would be the main tenant and would be highly unlikely they would play home games at both locations. They might still upgrade Eureka Stadium to play host to NAB Cup matches but to the same extent I'm not sure.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Do the plans keep the option open of being able to back the ute up to the fence and sit on your own deck chairs?
Or (as it is in Ballarat) being able to drive in forward with the windscreen wipers on, heater blasting and honking the horn everytime a goal goes through?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

This calls for a name change. The club should be called Everywhere But North Melbourne Football Club.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Jeffles wrote:This calls for a name change. The club should be called Everywhere But North Melbourne Football Club.
Didn't they try that by just going by the moniker "The Kangaroos" for a few deluded years in the early 2000's? As surely as Cronulla in the National Reprobates League will be the first RL club to fold/relocate, NMFC are only marking time until they go the way of the SMFC. Sucks for their fan, but its pretty obvious to an outsider thats the way things will go.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Eventually everyone will get to Boo-A-Roo.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Didn't they try that by just going by the moniker "The Kangaroos" for a few deluded years in the early 2000's? As surely as Cronulla in the National Reprobates League will be the first RL club to fold/relocate, NMFC are only marking time until they go the way of the SMFC. Sucks for their fan, but its pretty obvious to an outsider thats the way things will go.
I don't mind clubs getting an occasional handout if they're going through a rough trot as long as they can show a plan for getting on top of things, but I object to clubs that are chronic underachievers getting on-going handouts. These two clubs have been struggling for years for on-field success, financial stability and crowd support - just pull the pin already! The NRL and AFL are just pouring money down the drain that could be far better spent. As soon as the Kangaroos knocked back that offer to relocate to the Gold Coast their file should have been marked 'not another cent spent on them'.

Same with Cronulla not relocating to the Central Coast.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Boba Fett wrote:
I don't mind clubs getting an occasional handout if they're going through a rough trot as long as they can show a plan for getting on top of things, but I object to clubs that are chronic underachievers getting on-going handouts. These two clubs have been struggling for years for on-field success, financial stability and crowd support - just pull the pin already! The NRL and AFL are just pouring money down the drain that could be far better spent. As soon as the Kangaroos knocked back that offer to relocate to the Gold Coast their file should have been marked 'not another cent spent on them'.

Same with Cronulla not relocating to the Central Coast.

Totally agree, but then it doesn't involve my club (or even my primary code) TBH as a football fan I'm happy to see the AFL and NRL p|ss money up against the wall in a futile attempt to sustain the unsustainable. As a human and a sports fan, I dread the day some poor kid has 'his' club snatched away from him because there weren't enough other kids out there supporting that club. Some day I hope to have kids and take them to their first Norwood game, first AdUnited game etc. Some poor sod out there will never get to take his/her kid to a South Melbourne or Fitzroy game and I predict Cronulla and North Melbourne will soon be added to that sad list. Economics is a cruel mistress and the economics don't stand up to having a large proportion of clubs for a 'national' competition in one metro area. These are the facts and that's just the way it is Virginia:(