MSAC redevelopment/ expansion

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

well then it doesn't matter if it rains. I like that idea. I think there will be great atmosphere for it. I was already planning on going down for the Games. I may now have to watch some swimming too.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I believe that another major incentive for building the new MSAC outdoor pool is Melbourne's bid for the 2007 World Swimming Championships. I think that it is up against Rio & Long Beach.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

The Melbourne bid for the 2007 World Swimming C'Ships was withdrawn the other day for strange reasons. The media was told that it would cost too much with so many other international events scheduled in Australia from 2005 onwards (Commonwealth Games, World Gymnastics C'Ships). But, how can holding the World Swimming C'Ships at MSAC just one year after C'Wealth Games cost alot. The venue will be in place with little or no upgrading required. What's the problem? I was under the impression Melbourne thinks its the sporting capital of the world yet can not host a relatively low cost international event.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

argee wrote:The Melbourne bid for the 2007 World Swimming C'Ships was withdrawn the other day for strange reasons. The media was told that it would cost too much with so many other international events scheduled in Australia from 2005 onwards (Commonwealth Games, World Gymnastics C'Ships). But, how can holding the World Swimming C'Ships at MSAC just one year after C'Wealth Games cost alot. The venue will be in place with little or no upgrading required. What's the problem? I was under the impression Melbourne thinks its the sporting capital of the world yet can not host a relatively low cost international event.
The MSAC is not and will not be Olympic or World Championship standard,even for the Comm Games....Sydney and Perth are the only two cities capable of holding his event.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Cap on Commonwealth Games swimming seats
(from the Herald Sun)

VICTORIANS will be told within months how much they will pay to watch the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

Games Minister Justin Madden said there would be plenty of tickets in lower price ranges, as sponsorship and corporate support subsidises ordinary punters.
But controversy could shroud the swimming: capacity is to be kept 2000 seats below what it could be.

Mr Madden and Acting Premier John Thwaites yesterday unveiled the design for the $50 million Commonwealth Games competition pool, to be built at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre in Albert Park.

The open-air pool will have 3000 permanent seats, but will be adapted for 10,000 fans in March 2006.

However, the pool will be reconfigured for 12,000 for the World Swimming Championships in 2007.

Mr Madden said the capacity was capped so other Commonwealth Games sports were not adversely affected.

"You want to also make sure you get the right numbers attending the other venues as well," he said. "We'd like to see as many people get to as many events as possible."

Mr Madden said ticket numbers and prices should be revealed by mid-year. A decision on when to release tickets has not been made.

Expressions of interest for 15,000 volunteer positions are not due to be called for until next year.

John Holland Pty Ltd will start building the new pool on January 19, just short of a year after the original starting date.

The athletes' village at Parkville was also originally scheduled to be started last February, but the site has only recently been fenced and preliminary works started.

Mr Thwaites said the pool and athletes' village would be finished by the end of 2005, and all Games projects, including the MCG redevelopment, would be completed on time.

He said necessary public consultation had created delays.

"We've got very clear advice that everything is going to be absolutely on time, that we'll be in a position to host the best possible Commonwealth Games," he said.

The new pool will be permanently roofed and, for most of the time, open on three sides.

The project includes office space for sports groups, a hydrotherapy pool and a three-storey car park.

Mr Madden said Victoria had asked the Federal Government for $130 million towards the $1.1 billion Commonwealth Games budget.

An answer will be provided when the Federal Government hands down its Budget in May.

If all the cash was not forthcoming and commercial revenue could not be increased, operational cuts would have to be made, he said.

The State Government has capped its commitment for the 4500-athlete event at $697 million.

Opposition Leader Robert Doyle criticised project delays.

He based his criticism on a May 2003 tender document for the new pool, which nominated December 2003 as the start-up date.

The Government is now giving itself a healthy buffer in announcing target completion dates.

Mr Thwaites said the MSAC pool would be finished by the end of 2005. The official tender document nominated May 2005 as the expected completion date.

Other Commonwealth Games projects said to be on track include the lawn bowls centre and training velodrome at Northcote.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

"..........Mr Madden said the capacity was capped so other Commonwealth Games sports were not adversely affected.

"You want to also make sure you get the right numbers attending the other venues as well," he said. "We'd like to see as many people get to as many events as possible..............."

------------------------------------------------------------

What a load of crap...

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

What a load of crap, indeed!

I would've thought that 'sports mad' Melburnians would attend the Games in droves, nullifying the need to cap capacities. Melbourne is the 'Sporting Capital of the World' after all! Or so you keep telling us! :wink:

I'm sure I heard someone once say that if a game tiddlywinks were held at the G, 100,000 Melburnians would make there way to the ground to watch it! :roll:

dj21
Bronze

Post by dj21 »

james_ wrote:Melbourne is the 'Sporting Capital of the World' after all!
Jealous? You're jealous. :D

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

james_ wrote:I'm sure I heard someone once say that if a game tiddlywinks were held at the G, 100,000 Melburnians would make there way to the ground to watch it! :roll:
Where'd you hear that? Can't say I've heard that one before. :roll:

Maybe Brisbane should of done a similar capping thing for your Goodwill Games. :)
james_ wrote:Melbourne is the 'Sporting Capital of the World' after all!
Yes, we know.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Dan is right. The VIctorian Minister for AFL appears to be talking gibberish.

I think SIAC is the best swimming venue in the world. Let's have it there instead. :lol:

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

I'm surprised that Cam isn't pushing for the swimming to be held at the G. According to him, it would be the best place to hold swimming. Maybe during the refurbishment

Jeffles, do you think Madden's comments might be indicative of Melbourneite's inabiliy to swim. I mean, they have no beaches.... :wink:

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Misty Bee wrote:I'm surprised that Cam isn't pushing for the swimming to be held at the G. According to him, it would be the best place to hold swimming. Maybe during the refurbishment

Jeffles, do you think Madden's comments might be indicative of Melbourneite's inabiliy to swim. I mean, they have no beaches.... :wink:
Swimming at the G?

Melbourne have no beaches?

misty, do you have any idea? :? Have you ever been to Melbourne? Have you ever heard of Port Phillip Bay? Ever heard of St.Kilda, Brighton, etc...?
I'm still a little confused by your post! :roll: