Leeds to sell Elland Road

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Stadium_Seagull wrote:Freakin' Hell Holden V8. That's a find and a half!!! I love pictures like that. Showing what grounds used to look like!
This will make Jeffles rip his follicles out but I have a book that details with photos then and now of the 92 Premier and Football League clubs.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Thanks V8, great photo. It was only a couple of weeks I was looking through the archives on Getty Images and Google Images for historic Elland Road and Leeds in general. I'm becoming more attached with the club as time goes on...

Although winning on Saturday, they've slipped to 4th, Watford just ahead on goal difference, however Leeds have a game in hand.

For the record, I'd love to see them back in the Premiership next season, I don't think it'll do them any harm - as long as they don't go out and spend an absolute fortune on players. They need to be realistic and build a team which will finish on the lower half of the table, then go from there.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Canberra Uni's (substandard) library had a book from the early 80s showing all of the football league club grounds as well as the major Scottish grounds.

Almost all of the grounds had their terraces and old grandstands intact with the following exceptions:

Rangers had removed all the terracing and built the current Govan, Broomloan and Copland stands but without the corner left empty. And the seats were multi-coloured rather than all blue. They were the first club in the UK to replace their terraces and several years before the Taylor Report at that.

Chelsea's East Stand was brand new and was the biggest and most expensive stand built at the time.

Nottingham Forest's Brian Clough (East Stand) was also brand new.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Having experienced the stadium on Saturday last (1-0 victory over Crewe), its not the greatest in the world. I sat in the North stand until the match started, whereupon everyone stood up and didn't sit down until half time. Thank God as the legroom for a bloke nudging 6 feet was a little short. Facilities below the stand were rudimentary and there weren't enough buses afterwards IMO. I suppose only really going to the G, the Telstras and Aussie (when having a seat) over the last few years has spoiled me.
That said, fantastic day out. £25 for an inconsequential match in a half full stadium was a little steep, but I loved the noise generated by those around me. Only bad thing was it was the last home match of the season, except for the playoffs, and I won't be in Yorkshire then.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

the North stand (Don Revie Stand) is a converted terrace. No wonder there's not enough leg room.