London sports venues

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

I am aware that there probably were some minor leagues to the AFL though I dont know how it works in this closed league system.

However I thought that those crowds were more than matched by the crowds that I left out of the english numbers ( such as Football Conference, shield,early cup rounds, away travel into European competition and other stuff)

Again,I also only compared football to Australian football beacuse I considered that the total crowds for rugby U+L and cricket (int+county/state) more or less evened itself out.

but even if they didnt quite even themselves out, it doesnt change the overall point I made, that attendances for sport are higher in England

where australia stand out is in the talented teams and individuals they create

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

I forgot the point made about geography boosting english crowds due to ease of travel. if only that was true!!
the reality is that such a comment just shows that you dont even know how good you have it in australia regarding the availability of tickets.

at top clubs you cant even get on the waiting list to buy season tickets, as they close it when it reaches levels where youre never going to get a ticket in your lifetime, how then could travelling fans boost crowds....

(of course there are travelling fans in the premier league, but thats only because there is a rule in place that says that 3.000 tickets must be mde available to the visiting club and therefore cannot be sold to home fans or as season tickets)

the fact is english fans would consider Australia perfect for away travel because tickets are available!!
thats what matters, never mind the distance.

celtic fans set some sort of absurd uk record last season, when 80.000 of them travelled a few thousand miles to Seville for the uefa (minor european cup) final, even though they did not have tickets. they just wanted to watch the game on tv in the same city as it was being played.

I wonder how long before there is an equal number of australian and english fans for an ashes test at the SCG

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

the fact is english fans would consider Australia perfect for away travel because tickets are available!!
thats what matters, never mind the distance.
True but the same cannot be said for Australian supporters. Travel is a bigger issue.

I agree with you on the whole swede. We must remember that the sporting cultures of Europe and Australia are noticeably different. I think history and economy contribute greatly. And the figures certainly favour UK fans.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Imagine if the single league mentioned, AFL, had a season that also ran as long as the premier league......

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

Well, the stats prove you wronh in another argument, Swede.

If Harlequins and other union teams play at grounds where the capacity is only 10k, how can they jag more than League in the UK, where teams like Wigan and St helens regularly jag anything up to20k?

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Misty Bee wrote:Well, the stats prove you wronh in another argument, Swede.

If Harlequins and other union teams play at grounds where the capacity is only 10k, how can they jag more than League in the UK, where teams like Wigan and St helens regularly jag anything up to20k?
well, Misty, its perhaps because Wigan and St helens in fact very rarely come anywhere near filling their ground...

you clearly dont know what you are talking about, the fact that Union´s grounds are smaller and sell out all the time is very much a sign of growing crowds,
Leicester,Northampton,Gloucester are just 3 clubs where ground expansions will soon be underway because they average ground capacity.
I know you think its all an evil conspiracy plotted by fleet street and evil public schools, but in that case the cunning plot is going well since Union is much morepopular in England, whichever you look at it