Rose Bowl 2006

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Dan
Silver

Rose Bowl 2006

Post by Dan »

Texas 41 d USC 38 in fron tof 95,000

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

i love the rose bowl

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Amazing game at one of the most picturesque stadiums in the states.

That picture is now my wallpaper.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

britishspud wrote:i love the rose bowl
As do I...

Fantastic shot

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Its amazing how often you can read the skyscrapercity forums and see how much the Europeans bag American stadiums, be it for the retractable roofs, domes or bowls like the Rose Bowl. Often becuase they aren't their precious soccer stadiums.

Personally, I love the look of the Rose Bowl. A traditional form of stadium in a modern society.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

I don't see how Euros can comment. There are some real crap looking stadiums in Europe.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

HoldenV8 wrote:Its amazing how often you can read the skyscrapercity forums and see how much the Europeans bag American stadiums, be it for the retractable roofs, domes or bowls like the Rose Bowl. Often becuase they aren't their precious soccer stadiums.

Personally, I love the look of the Rose Bowl. A traditional form of stadium in a modern society.
On the whole I am not a huge fan of American Stadiums, but the Rose Bowl is an exception...

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

HoldenV8 wrote:Its amazing how often you can read the skyscrapercity forums and see how much the Europeans bag American stadiums, be it for the retractable roofs, domes or bowls like the Rose Bowl. Often becuase they aren't their precious soccer stadiums.

it think it's cos theres no real "design" to big bowl stadia..but i like them cos they have a sense of colosseum about them

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

britishspud wrote:

it think it's cos theres no real "design" to big bowl stadia..but i like them cos they have a sense of colosseum about them
For me the Rose Bowl is unique in that it is circular but plays host to a rectangular based sport...a remarkable architectural feat for when it was probably constructed...and the stadium is instantly recognisable throughout the world.

A classic case of why you need not have the most fanciest design...but a stadium that is recognisable, has bucketloads of history attached to it, and a design that is unique to that stadium and that stadium only...

I think the Best Stadiums in the world have all of the above criteria...and Rose Bowl is definately one of those

spinDr
Bronze

Post by spinDr »

the colosseum goes up more then it goes out across.

I acknowledge the spectacle of being able to fill a stadium like that where a large percentage of the seats wont be able to see the ball, but i dont rate the stadium design at all.

To me it just looks like the result of post war era economics of jamming as many people in for as little money as possible a couple of times a year, if that, and having it empty for the rest of the year. It is as if somebody let off a hydrogen bomb and then put seating on the crater walls.

The lack of roof and incline probably does nothing for the accoustics. Not that it matters alot with crowds of that size.