Location is important

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
pudy_Newcastle
Bronze

Location is important

Post by pudy_Newcastle »

I was just wondering what stadium you guys think has the best location in the world (features around the stadium) I think this is important because it adds to the overall atmosphere of the stadium.

My pick is Pacific Bell Park in San Francisco, USA. Go the link below and you will see my the reason for this.
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pi ... park.shtml

Please Reply

See ya

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

My two equal favourites would be two tennis venues, one a temporary venue. The Davis Cup tie a few years ago between Australia and Brazil at Florianopolis had a great location right on one of the best beaches and holiday location in beautiful Brazil. While Royal Kings Park would be equal to that. The best park, best location awesome views and elevated, I would have to say if you had an aerial of Royal Kings Park you could see why the location is absolutly brilliant, while the WACA come close behind right on the banks of the Swan River.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

is it just me, or is royal kings park not listed on this site?

Mr J
Bronze

Post by Mr J »

A few things i dont get about American staidums when i look at that picture is that:

a) why do none of there stadiums have roofs?
b) why dont they ever complete the stadiums the whole way around
c) have they never heard of tiered seating, most of the stadiums are just giant bowls.

pudy_Newcastle
Bronze

Post by pudy_Newcastle »

I can answer 2 of them questions

I dunno what ur talking about, heaps of american stdiums have roofs.

Only gridion stadiums r bowls ( i kno they look gay )

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Royal Kings Park, needs temporary seating otherwise the capacity would only be a 1000 people. Is only used by members of the club and for infrequent davis cup matches. It is just an average surburban tennis ground with a mountain load of history. I believe it hosted the australian Open once. I know Perth has held the Australian Open before Melbourne Park when it was swapped every year.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

I wouldn't exactly call it the nicest stadium I have ever seen, but check this out: Olympiastadion in Berlin:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pi ... dion.shtml

very very weird

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

A beautiful stadium that is. Is it just me or is the roof new? I don't recall Jesse Owens running in a roofed arena.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

You could say its new. In fact its so new, that it hasnt been built yet..

or at least not completed, as far as I know

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks swede. That is quite new. It's embryonic.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Mr J, when you referred to American football stadiums sometimes not being built all the way around, there is a reason. New stadiums in this mold are modelled on old time horseshoe shaped college football stadiums which had one end open for when national intercollegiate athletics meets took place. So, the stadium usually had a cinder track under the temporary seats in the first few rows in the main structure while temporary bleachers were set up at the open end for when football games were on. Ohio Stadium in Columbus is the perfect example. It is now being redeveloped to be enclosed, however.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

The most important thing regarding location is surely for the stadium to be situated right in the heart of the community from which the team draws its supporters.
as for surroundings, I think US baseball stadiums will always win, because they have an open side, which opens up all sorts of possibilities of building something spectacular in connection with the surroundings,unlike football stadiums, which basically has to be enclosed.

Jayzamann
Bronze

Post by Jayzamann »

I like the location of that one in San Francisco! That looks really cool!

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

From the 60's to the 80's, many American sports stadiums were built out in far out suburbia while more recent venues have come into downtown. PacBell Park (which will be renamed SBC Park in January) replaced the San Francisco Giants' (MLB) outlying and longtime loved and hated home Candlestick Park. In Detroit, the Lions (NFL) played at the teflon roofed Pontiac Silverdome in the middle of nowhere for decades before moving into the spectacular downtown roofed stadium Ford Field last year. The LA Lakers (NBA) played at the suburban Forum for years before moving to the downtown Staples Center
The new wave of sports arenas and ballparks are tending to be built in regenerated inner city 'stadium precincts' surrounded by trendy residential and retail zones on land that was once derelict. Australian parallels can be found with the switch from Waverley to Docklands in Melbourne and the Broncos move back to inner-city Lang Park from suburban ANZ.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

swede wrote:The most important thing regarding location is surely for the stadium to be situated right in the heart of the community from which the team draws its supporters.
Couldn't agree more. There's nothing worse than having to trek for miles to watch your team.
swede wrote:I think US baseball stadiums will always win, because they have an open side, which opens up all sorts of possibilities of building something spectacular in connection with the surroundings,unlike football stadiums, which basically has to be enclosed.
The roof structure of Suncorp Stadium (much criticised by members of this forum) goes some way to making that connection.

From the Courier Mail:

Some seat have views to the William Jolly Bridge, Red Hill and out to the mountains.

"One of the debates, especially about cricket fields, is that they become to internalised and cut off from the city," Mr Skinner (Head of Architecture Dept, University of Qld) said. "Here you will have a sense of the action as well as a feeling of connection to the city."

To illustrate the point:

You can see the XXXX brewery, a Qld icon, (through the gap) from the northern upper tier! Now that's "connection with the city"!

I think that ballpark is great, I wonder how many balls end up in the drink!
Last edited by james_ on Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.