New Zealand Stadiums

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Jeffles
Platinum

New Zealand Stadiums

Post by Jeffles »

They've always interested me. Odd shaped numbers with many weird shaped grandstands trying to balance their use for Rugby codes and cricket. Hence we have such weird places like Jade Stadium, Eden Prk and the old Athletic Park in Wellington http://blufforn0.tripod.com/wellington/id1.html (does it still exist? Or did thety demolish it after Westpac Trust Stadium was built?)

The above three are the earliest memories I have for NZ grounds. I can only imagine the atmosphere of these places (and Carisbrook). If only a Rugby League match was played there :D . Or another U2 concert.

What do you guys think of these grounds? Too messy? Too weird? Too old? Maybe. But geez they are unique.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

As Ive stated before. i think Eden Park is the weridest stadium in the world, its not good for Rugby or Cricket, it just tries to accomadate both. I like Jade Stadium, Its got a sence to character to it compared to other grounds in New Zealand. I just think they have upgraded to many sadiums and have a multitude of stadiums betwen 20, 30,000 but they do not have a large stadium of any note considering the size of the nation and the accesibility of going from city to city which is incredible. Bigger not weird, Westpac Trust Stadium should have had another tier put on the stadium. Wellington Ideal place to put there main stadium. Half way between the two major cities of Auckland and Christchurch and the other main cities in the main island. I would suggest the new 60-70,000 seat stadium must be constructed in Wellington.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I don't think that big a stadium is warranted for NZ. 50,000 at Eden Park in Auckland (with a quarter of the nation's people) is enough (although they could improve the quality of the stands at the goal ends). I doubt a 60-70K seat stadium in Wellington would do well at all. NZ has a small population and it is very provinvcally entrenched, hence the rotation of Bledisloe Tests across the nation. A major stadium in Wellington wouldn't change this. The arguments among provinces would remian. So I hardly think it viable. The stadiums are just about OK for NPC and Super 12.

I like Lancaster Park (Jade Stadum) too. Miss the old No. 2 stand with the big Canterbury Draught ad on the tin roof. Calaw Park was also good but it was genuinely in need of demolition.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

i agree jeffles ~ kiwi popn too small and too provincial for a big stadium...

:) the old number four stand at lancaster park (with the cd logo) had a funny 'turned up' roof at one end to enable viewing of the cricket pitch from the far rear corner...

... new stand is great for rugby... trouble is it casts a huge shadow for cricket and most of the ground is in the dark after 1-2pm... which doesn't auger well for christchurch's continued status as a test venue (which has been shakey in recent years anyway)

the addition of the 'castle' and flames for super 12 is a great innovation ~ wish more australian grounds had distinctive attractions ala tampa bay pirate ship with firing cannons...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The Old Number 4 Stand. A great little number. Thanks for bringing it up redback original.

NZ_Fraggle
Bronze

Post by NZ_Fraggle »

This picture:

makes Athletic Park look sooo bizzare.

By the way, the NZ Rugby Union wants to build a 60-80k stadium so they can try to bid for sole hosting rights in 2011.

Fraggle

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

They should turn Eden Park into Telstra Stadium.

guy41
Bronze

Post by guy41 »

Yes

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

redback_original wrote:wish more australian grounds had distinctive attractions ala tampa bay pirate ship with firing cannons...
:shock:

you're kidding, right?

please tell me you're kidding!

redback_original
Silver

... oh no... that might mean some creativity...

not something australians are known for.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

stuff like that would be great, add some character, not have it there permanantly, just set the stuff up for certain teams home games. Cause with the AFL too many teams share stadiums so adding something like that for home games would give it that sense that teams would have true connections with their grounds and that they are actually playing a home game, even if they are against a co-tenant.

redback_original
Silver

stadiums should be unique...

Watching the ABs V England from Carisbrook, it was great to see people crammed onto an embankment at an international sports event...
(and drinking out of cans... a real blast from the past).

Bit of standing room never hurt anyone... not even when the scarfies were burning sofas...

BTW - i'm still a fan of the pirate ship.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

the guy wrote:Cause with the AFL too many teams share stadiums so adding something like that for home games would give it that sense that teams would have true connections with their grounds and that they are actually playing a home game, even if they are against a co-tenant.
Not to get too far off the topic, but I see that Freo have installed a couple of inflatable anchors on the roof of Subi for home games. Are they reading our posts aswell? :wink:

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

I did a quick search to see what news is coming out of NZ about new stadiums. Apparently the Otago Highlanders home ground Carisbrook in Dunedin has been taking a beating from some corners. There are plans afoot to upgrade the 'House of Pain' in order to retain its status as a Test match venue. This from the Editorial of the Otago Daily Times:

14 June 2004
Otago Daily Times

Carisbrook upgrade vital, says ORFU head `Primeval' venue comments backed By Alistair McMurran

Otago Rugby Football Union chief executive Russell Gray says Carisbrook must be upgraded if Dunedin wants to retain its A category test status.

Mr Gray yesterday agreed with the stinging criticism of the ground made by English rugby writer Eddie Butler.

In his Observer column, Butler wrote: ''Carisbrook is a primeval rugby ground. It is cold and old, cramped and damp.''

Mr Gray said Dunedin was fortunate to be able to stage the test between the All Blacks and England last Saturday.

''We have slipped back and our facilities are not up to world class standards.''

He said the television viewing public did not see the lack of facilities for player warm-ups under the main stand or the sub-standard media facilities.

''In this technical age, the media expected to be able to file stories on laptop computers as the game progressed,'' he said. ''The facilities here used to be acceptable, but not any more. We need to update our electronic facilities.''

There were 50 media covering last Saturday's test and this would double for the Lions tour next year.

''The redevelopment of the facilities is essential for the social and economic wellbeing of the city,'' he said.

Mr Gray said the economic benefits to the city from Saturday's test were estimated conservatively at between $5 million and $7 million and the flow-on effects could extend the figure to between $10 million and $15 million.

''The city can't afford not to invest in the facilities if it wants to retain its test status.''

The Carisbrook Working Party has been reconvened to find options.

''This includes a number of options to redevelop the existing facilities and a green field option to shift the complete venue,'' he said.

The working party consists of Mr Gray, DCC chief executive Jim Harland, Otago Regional Council chief executive Graeme Martin, Otago Community Trust chief executive Keith Ellwood, Sport Otago chief executive Paul Allison, Dunedin businessman Mike Coburn and DCC general manager of strategy and development Peter Brown.

The city council and other members of the committee are considering a proposal from the Auckland firm of Beca Carter Hollings Ferner to complete a feasibility study. The firm was involved in stadium projects in Wellington, Hamilton and New Plymouth.

Mr Gray emphasised redeveloping Carisbrook would not come cheap and would take between three and five years to complete.

''The minimum cost would be $20 million to build a new main grandstand and up to $100 million for a new stadium with a roof.''

The immediate priority was to upgrade player facilities, food outlets, toilets and media facilities before next year's Lions tour.

''It would be a good investment, because the benefits would come back to the city,'' Mr Gray said.