Basin Reserve

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
hot_dogma
Platinum

Basin Reserve

Post by hot_dogma »

I was in Wellington yesterday and made a visit to Prime Finance Basin Reserve :wank: and noticed it had light towers which looked very much like the ones at Redfern Oval; quite low-level with large light banks. I always thought of this venue being light free but it now beckons the question has night cricket (district, domestic or international) ever been played here? One of the towers had its lights removed but the stanchion remained. The others had the globes pointing in all directions bar the playing arena. It looks as though they would have been de-energised or are used just for training.

When i took my pics it had rugby uprights in the ground so would i be safe to assume that it also featured games of this code along with Athletic Park?

I always thought that until Westpac Stadium was built they couldn't play games under lights here but maybe this assumption is wrong?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I think the lights are a part of what albakiwi said of the redevelopment of Basin Reserve in another thread.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

The lights looked pretty ancient. They have 1950's style written all over them with the classic English football ground design of girder construction.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Those lights are positively ancient.

I think they've played the odd league and/or cricket match at the Basin Reserve under lights. Apparently there was a soccer game played there some time ago with men running up and down the sideline carrying lights to illuminate the game for some sort of demostration.

I think the Basin Reserve may be used as the visiting teams training ground for RU matches at the Cake Tin.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ahh I stand corrected.

I just know they are building a stand...Didn't know if the lights were included or not.