EURO 2004 Stadia

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Wow, thats a fantastic stadium. At the least it wins the award for ingenuity.

Maybe, if that stadium gets a game that is broadcast in NZ, i will watch a Euro 04 game.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

What did we all think?

I thought Estadio Dragao was fantastic. The blue and white team won but the Porto crowd would not have been happy.

I only saw a bit of Estadio Algarve. The end stand, with seating that doesnn't reach pitch level and has the concourse between the pitch and the seats, reminded me of one of the old end stands at The Valley (home of Charlton). Still, for the area it is a good stadium.

---

The softly sfotly stance of the police took an interesting turn. Although with less than 10 arrests I think the footage was a bit of a beat up. I expected worse.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Saw a bit og the Braga Stadium in the Netherlands game last night. The mountain is right there. About 10 metres behind the pitch. It frequently came in the shot. Amazing.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

It really makes the stadium unique. The one thing I am not convinced by is the design of the lower tier. Seven access tunnels at pitch level with aisles either side doesn't look good on television. It breaks up the crowd too much.

Estádio José Alvalade was the venue for the other match last night between Germany and Czech Republic. I don't have any time for the trench around the perimeter of the playing surface. It's a shame that these are required, but I guess they're better than a perimeter fence. The venue for the 2010 final, Soccer City in Joburg, has a similar arrangement. :( I just feel it divorces spectators from the action and doesn't send a great message to the world about soccer crowds.

Estádio José Alvalade

P.S. Congrats on the 1000, Jeffles.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

In the lead up to the tournament, many people thought that the spending on stadia in Portugal would be a big waste given their poor league attendances.

Now that we have some time to reflect, I'd like to do so.

Looking at http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats/stats_att_13.htm the stadia have helped many crowds rise. 2003-04 was the first use of many stadia. In the above website, the top eight clubs used Euro 2004 venues. All clubs gained on 2002-03 crowds although few are testing the capacity of the ground. Uniao Leiria (ranked 10th) also plays in a Euro 2004 venue and it had increased its attendances but no testing of the capacity.

The other stadium are Estadio Algarve - home of Louletano, Farense and Algarve United (yes they use the English version instead of Uniao Algarve). No club is close to the Superliga so attendances there are very low. (Louletano is actually based in Loule which is 12km away. I can't see their crowds being that good and personally think they would be better off in Loule until they move up in the divisions). This would be a big white elephant.

http://www.soccerstats.com/2khcrowd.asp ... l&rankby=1

This year it is too early to tell. Some crowds are good and some woeful. The relegation of Beira Mar (Aveiro) wouldn't add bums on seats at their stadium (a lovely red and yellow tiled number).

A mixed bag indeed. I believe that the improved facilities have drawn people to the games. Old Portuguese stadiums were very basic in amenities - a throwback to Salazar's no-frills mindset during his dictatorship and a nation generally poor in resources. The publicity surrounded by the torunament, Sporting Lisbon and FC Porto's success in Europe also had a positive influence on crowds.

On the other side, it is difficult when Superliga games are live on FTA TV Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. That's 4 of the 9 games. Also, there are fewer Selecao (national team) players plying their trade at home. The competitiveness of the League is a disincentive. In around 100 years of competition, only twice has the league been won by a club that wasn't Benfica, Sporting or Porto (Belenenses in 1945-46 and Boavista in 2000-01). With Braga starting the year well it would be good for the game as a whole to see another club rise.

Outside sport, friends and family over there tell me that the stadia are being used more often for non-sporting purposes. Better than nothing.
Last edited by Jeffles on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

christ.....how long did it take you to dig this one out :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote: In around 100 years of competition, only twice has the league been one by a club that wasn't Benfica, Sporting or Porto (Belenenses in 1945-46 and Boavista in 2000-01)..
People need to realise that I am not the only one that makes spelling errors... :wink:

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Jeffles: 1
Egan: 4,514,265

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

:lol:

I knew somebody would spring to his defence :wink:

Jeffles
Platinum