wembley........at last

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It was giving a picture of one venue in Sydney, I thought it was relevant to state that those sort of prices are likely Australia wide.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

dibo wrote:hot dog £2.09 $5.50
I do not recall a single decent hot dog I've had at a stadium. The bun's always half-stale and far too large, there's usually either only tomato sauce or crappy little sachets of American mustard and the frankfurt is always somewhere between lukewarm and cold. It's an experience that I'm quite sure is similar to eating foam.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I must agree with Cheesie, with the exception of any hot dog I've ever cooked at work.

I've cooked literally thousands of hot dogs in my, "career," and the best brand name ones I've had were from Hans but we only had them for six months. Haven't had a good one since.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:
I do not recall a single decent hot dog I've had at a stadium. The bun's always half-stale and far too large, there's usually either only tomato sauce or crappy little sachets of American mustard and the frankfurt is always somewhere between lukewarm and cold. It's an experience that I'm quite sure is similar to eating foam.
telstra's are especially, er... special. there was a kransky dog i had there a few years back that i bit into and it shot hot oil about a metre away. lucky i was at a rugby league game, so there was plenty of room around me... :P

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:
You are being ripped I love the local variations of the hot dog.

Powerhouse - Best Hot Dog, with bolognaise sauce (a dedicated hot dog stand at the venue)
Freo Oval - Hot Dog that included onion but no sauce
Rushton Park - Crusty roll, with the middle cut out to put the sausage in

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

i had a nice hotdog @ candlestick park.....

Tonic
Bronze

Post by Tonic »

britishspud wrote:Food prices were as follows:

pint of ale £3.50 - $8.30

:lol: you've gotta laugh have'nt you :lol: :lol:

can anyone compare that price list to telstra or suncorp??

You obviously haven't been to Perth recently - man, beer over the counter in this city is expensive... I'm kinda missing the $6 jugs of beer I lived on in Townsville for 4 1/2 yrs - meanwhile, a $6 'middy' in Perth is not unheard of :(

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Tonic wrote:

You obviously haven't been to Perth recently - man, beer over the counter in this city is expensive... I'm kinda missing the $6 jugs of beer I lived on in Townsville for 4 1/2 yrs - meanwhile, a $6 'middy' in Perth is not unheard of :(
Head to the less 'metro' pubs to get decent priced drinks. But you won't get alcohol that cheap in this city.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:
Tonic wrote:

Head to the less 'metro' pubs to get decent priced drinks. But you won't get alcohol that cheap in this city.
When was the last time you bought a beer?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

alright, threadjack

What did people think of Wembley on the telly?

I don't like how far back the seats are behind the goal. There's exta pitch length for RL but then another 10 metres of space wasted on a cinder track. You can't see the crowd, just a big old empty space.

What also looked crap was that the middle three bays on the northern side were empty for the first 10 minutes of the second half because the suits were off at lunch so that grandstand looked like Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea Empty Empty Empty Utd Utd Utd Utd. God the FA is a pack of sellouts

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Simmo79 wrote:alright, threadjack

What did people think of Wembley on the telly?

I don't like how far back the seats are behind the goal. There's exta pitch length for RL but then another 10 metres of space wasted on a cinder track. You can't see the crowd, just a big old empty space.

What also looked crap was that the middle three bays on the northern side were empty for the first 10 minutes of the second half because the suits were off at lunch so that grandstand looked like Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea Empty Empty Empty Utd Utd Utd Utd. God the FA is a pack of sellouts
A football pitch can be up to 130yds. If the FA used the maximum length, there'd be little or no space behind the goals.

Other than that, I cannot add much to yuor summation Simmo. I've really turned off English soccer in the past three or so years. What has maintained my interest (lower league P&R as well as lopsided giantkilling Cup runs) is unfortunately drowned out by a blatant lack of competition and substance. That's for another thread anyway.

I didn't watch the presentation as I was really tired. Did they go up into the stand like the days of old?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Jeffles wrote:A football pitch can be up to 130yds. If the FA used the maximum length, there'd be little or no space behind the goals.
it can, but IIRC FIFA recommends (and for international matches, mandates) a field of 105x68m.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

hot_dogma wrote:
When was the last time you bought a beer?
Last Alcoholic beverage was in September last year, when it was open bar at Paddington Ale House :lol:

An interesting night that was...

I was never a fan of Wembley, looked way to 'common' its individuality of the past has gone, for a monotnous run of the mill Arsenal style stadium.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I didn't bother watching the FA Cup as I was more concerned with getting home from work. The old Wembley used to pride itself on having the biggest ground surface in England. I gather this is no longer the case with standardised pitches.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:I don't like how far back the seats are behind the goal.
Run for the next election damnit.