Wembley Redevelopment

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

they better get a move on....it's got to be ready by next march!!..

love this drawing.......it's HUGE :shock:

spinDr
Bronze

Post by spinDr »

What does the Arch actually do. It does not appear to be motorised on its own, and even if it was i can not see how it would be able to retract the roof cover once it has pulled it across. If indeed there was another method to retract the roof, then am i right in thinking that the Arch is just a big gimmick.

Though should some cables snap in cold/windy days then its going to be spectatcular.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

it supports the roof,doubt it's really needed,it could have been built without a huge arch but the stadium needed something to replace the iconic twin towers and thre arch defo does that, infact people don't talk about the towers anymore.

it's not got a fully retractable roof, the only retractable parts of the roof are over the goal end part i think....it's designed in a way that you don't have half the pitch in shadow.

if you look at the goal ends it's open,look a little closer and you a see two griders which would support the retractable panels

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

and thats what makes it great, the roof solution.

I hope it works out well, in which case it will most likely be copied elsewhere. No point in a normal retractable roof except to assist in the noble art of grass-killing.

For all its main afternoon matches in april and may, it will offer covered seats if it rains but no shadows if its sunshine. This has never been possible anywhere before without people being miles away from the pitch.

Its also the most fundamental, if expensive, solution to all the problems with grass in modern stadiums.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

i can't help wondering why they didn't make the roof fully retractable thought,it's cost $759 million and half the roof is retractable???yes the showpiece games are gonna be in may but what about the world cup qully games in winter when it's raining/cold/snowing? looking at the picture above it wouldn't have taken to much work to put a couple more panels to cover the middle sections of the roof

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Next year's RL Challenge Cup is the first event at the new Wembley to have tickets on sale. 70,000 have been released (the remaining 20,000 are allocated when the finalists are determined).

With ticket sales a week old and a year out till the actual final, already 7000 tickets have been sold.

------

http://www.rfl.uk.com/Templates/RFLDefa ... &CompName=

POWERGEN CHALLENGE CUP 5th September 2005

10 per cent of all available seats for the 2006 Powergen Challenge Cup Final at Wembley Stadium have already been sold.

Tickets for the final of Rugby League’s most historic knock-out competition went on sale on Thursday 1st September 2005 when the sport made history by becoming the first to make tickets available for an event at the newly re-built venue.

Following that, supporters throughout the UK have responded in their thousands resulting in a huge number of advance bookings.

Commenting on the interest in the 2006 Powergen Challenge Cup Final, the Rugby Football League’s Community Marketing Manager Adam Jude said: “This tremendous level of advanced sales is demonstrating that supporters are extremely excited by the prospect of returning to the new Wembley Stadium.

Jude added: “The 2006 Powergen Challenge Cup Final will be a highly significant occasion for the sport as the event returns to its spiritual home.

“Playing at the new Wembley will give the Final even greater profile and status and we feel sure that all supporters will wish to experience this. Any supporter who is at the event will become part of Rugby League history”.

The 2006 Powergen Challenge Cup Final takes place at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 26th August 2006.

Tickets for the event start of £20 with the top price being £75.

Tickets can be purchased from the Rugby League Events Hotline by calling 0870 990 131

spinDr
Bronze

Post by spinDr »

Did anybody watch 4 Corners last night?

Was about Multiplex and their Wembley project, all the problems they faced and whether or not they fabricated reports to its shareholders.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I caught the end of it...it seems the finishing date of March 31st will be later on in the year...the poor West Aussies being crippled by the poms :lol: :wink:

(note sarcasm)

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

britishspud wrote:i can't help wondering why they didn't make the roof fully retractable thought,it's cost $759 million and half the roof is retractable???yes the showpiece games are gonna be in may but what about the world cup qully games in winter when it's raining/cold/snowing? looking at the picture above it wouldn't have taken to much work to put a couple more panels to cover the middle sections of the roof
well I am no engineer, but those extra panels would be further away from the structure that holds the roof which no doubt would mean the whole structure would have to be changed.

Anyway, Wembley is about those showpiece games, probably 90% of games will take place in april-may and august, on either side of the longest day, which makes this inclusion of the angle of the sun into the equation so great in my opinion.
Whats the point of a roof? the last remaining 2-3 games that may be played in october, november or march and on 99% of times will be played in some 5-15 degrees excellent football conditions. rain is part of the game, anyway.

The Millenium stadium with its roof is in my opinion a poor venue.

Its generally considered great, as it would be if it wasnt for the poor grass.(and the fact that they generally close the roof when the sun is shining to avoid the shadows, but keep it open when it rains)
But the fact that they continue to deliver poor pitches for great occassionsis cannot just be overlooked.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

swede wrote:
The Millenium stadium with its roof is in my opinion a poor venue.

Its generally considered great, as it would be if it wasnt for the poor grass.(and the fact that they generally close the roof when the sun is shining to avoid the shadows, but keep it open when it rains)
But the fact that they continue to deliver poor pitches for great occassionsis cannot just be overlooked.
Aka Telstra Dome...good points Swede, I find Millenium fantastic, but a better Union Ground (pitch doesnt really matter as much). Absolutley love when they pack the venue full of 74,000 Welshman, that is one thing I want to do, go to a Wales v Australia match at Millenium...that would be simply amazing.

Wembley will probably be the most expensive stadium ever built when its finished...it seems England is in the midst of a stadium construction boom...which is a good to see :)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

More reports today about Wembley eating up Multiplex's profits and how there was a "material risk" that the ground won't be finished by the FA Cup final. I'll bet my left nad that it will be. The eyes of the world are on Multiplex and they won't cock up.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

you can keep your nad but i'm betting it won't.

heres a report from yesterday on sky news

http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videop ... 76,00.html

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

another nail in the 31st march deadline

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.c ... 73525.html

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Todays 'Age' had an article about Wembley (taken from an English paper) so I thought I may as well post it here -

Born of chaos, new Wembley has sense of purpose
By Richard Williams
January 4, 2006

ON ANOTHER New Year's Eve, the best part of a decade ago, modern Britain's greatest folly was taking shape. Its long cantilevered arms, tipped with red lights, stretched out to the night sky. Two years to the day away from its opening, and seen at midnight from a deserted and rain-swept East London side street, the Millennium Dome would never look as beautiful again.

We all know what happened next. Conceived in confusion and executed in haste, the dome turned out to be a £750 million ($1765 million) symbol of the vanity of leaders who wanted to put on a big show without having to bother about the little matter of substance. Even before its opening, it was seen as a national embarrassment.

Driving to look at the new Wembley stadium as another year dawned, very different emotions are engaged. The sheer uselessness of the dome was apparent early. At the Wembley site, the half-built stadium lacks the pure aesthetic quality of the incomplete dome; the sense of purpose, however, is unmistakable. I have no idea whether the 129 days that remain between now and the date of the FA Cup final on May 13 are sufficient to complete the jobs of connecting the 2618 toilets to the London Borough of Brent's sewerage system or stocking the 688 "catering outlets". All I can say is that from the outside, it doesn't look as though the big kick-off can be all that far away.

If the builder, Australian construction giant Multiplex, doesn't make it in time for the cup final, it will have another 16 days to avoid an even bigger humiliation. For by inviting Hungary to become the first international side to play in the new stadium, the Football Association has lodged a hostage to fortune. Hungary occupies a unique place in the history of English football. It was 52 years ago last November that Ferenc Puskas and his teammates arrived at the old Wembley and became the first team from outside Britain to beat the game's inventor on its home territory (a 6-3 walloping, for good measure).

Like the dome, the new Wembley was born of chaos, uncertainty and indecision. Even after the old twin towers had come down, there was a time when it seemed as though the entire project was in jeopardy. The decision to drive it forward is turning out to have been a brave and far-sighted one. During a tour of its perimeter at the start of the new year, the stadium's vast cost began to make slightly better sense. At an all-in figure of $1780 million, which is to say a mere $16 million more than the estimated cost of the dome, the bill for the new Wembley will be around three times that of Stade de France. Despite its success in hosting the 1998 World Cup final and the athletics world championships of 2003, Stade de France is not a place that encourages tourists to visit when nothing is going on.

Even in the old days, Wembley offered a worthwhile tour for visitors. Covering an area something like five times larger, and with a vast concourse, the new arena has the potential to become a much greater attraction. But the real reward is even greater. Once open for business, Wembley will provide a symbol of real achievement to encourage the London Olympic organising committee, whose job is to fulfil the promises contained in the 2012 bid document.

Compared with its task, building the new Wembley may come to seem like putting up a garden shed.

GUARDIAN

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

good article, it will be great.

This really will be the year where London´s sporting landscape should be transformed.
I dont think a new or completly rebuilt venue of note has been built in London almost since old wembley a lifetime ago yet this year will see 3 major openings in perhaps as many months as new wembley opens alongside Emirates and royal ascot.

The expansion of Twickenham to 82,000 will be nearing completion as well, though probably not complete before 2007 which is also when the Dome will reopen as a huge sports and music arena.

only the Wimbledon projects, including the centre court roof, are a little late to the party but by then cranes may well be going up for expansions at chelsea, Charlton and possibly Spurs.
+ of course the small matter of the olympics.

The only thing "missing" in my opinion is really that much-needed expansion of Lord´s