Dunedin fully enclosed stadium!!

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
coldfrog
Bronze

Dunedin fully enclosed stadium!!

Post by coldfrog »

Looks great, check out www.carisbrook.org.nz Turf man better be onto it!! Not sure how to attach image if someone can help would be good[/img]

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

click on the IMG tag

paste your link from the picture you want to show

then click the IMG tag again

like this

the current carisbrook

coldfrog
Bronze

Post by coldfrog »

alabakiwi
Bronze

Post by alabakiwi »

There's almost zero chance that this thing is actually going to get built.

coldfrog
Bronze

Post by coldfrog »

Why do you think that?? Hasnt the first installment of $11 million been approved by council and the remainder been included in community plan?

alabakiwi
Bronze

Post by alabakiwi »

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Dunedin to build this stadium. I think it's a great idea and a case of forward vision for the region. And I'll gladly eat crow if my belief that the stadium doesn't get built is wrong.

Here's an example of why the stadium probably won't get built. Essentially, it's asking a small region to cough up almost $100 million. Auckland, with a population 9 times Dunedin, could barely front with $220 million for the Eden Park upgrade.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411317/1150025

Limited support for new Carisbrook

May 25, 2007

Otago ratepayers are divided over plans to replace Carisbrook with a new covered stadium. Council commissioned surveys show narrow support for a new sports complex and a reluctance to pay for it.

The surveys were commissioned by the Otago Regional Council and the Dunedin City Council, which have been asked to fund part of the $188 million project.

A written survey sent out to 75,000 Otago ratepayers saw about 30,000 people responses from mainly men and older people. About 52% are in favour of a new stadium, with about 45% opposed.

A telephone survey of 2,200 Dunedin residents, found about 61% were in favour of the stadium, with about 35% opposed.

Both surveys highlighted a reluctance from the majority of residents to fund the stadium through rates.

Ratepayers Association spokesman Syd Adie say the results vindicate their opposition.

"People like the idea of a stadium but they don't want to pay for it on their rates," he says.

And some Dunedin City Councillors are wondering if this is the end of the project.

"I suspect it's a dead duck and I think that's a pity for Dunedin," says councillor Michael Guest.

It is likely Dunedin's council will decide the fate of the stadium at its meeting in June.

coldfrog
Bronze

Post by coldfrog »

It my understanding that the last line of article regarding the council vote in June was for the funding etc was positive therefore the inital amount of 11 million was approved. Looking into it this morning I note that the remainder of the $$$ will be approved after the city elections in October. The vote was 8-6 for the stadium to proceed, so in saying that there would somewhat have to be a turnover of city councillors to a degree or some to change their stance on the proposed stadium for it to be thrown out.