Twickenham redevelopment

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!

The best international Rugby stadium in the world is...

Stadium Australia, Sydney AUS
25%
Eden Park, Auckland NZL
No votes
Ellis Park, Johannesburg RSA
8%
Stade de France, Paris FRA
17%
Twickenham, London ENG
17%
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff WAL
25%
Murrayfield, Edinburgh SCO
8%
Lansdowne Road, Dublin IRE
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 12

james_
Silver

Twickenham redevelopment

Post by james_ »

TWICKENHAM SET FOR REVAMP

9:27AM 11/9/2002
Story by: AAP

Rugby Football Union (RFU) chiefs unveiled plans for the latest phase of redevelopment at their headquarters ground at Twickenham, south-west London.

A new south stand will increase the capacity to 82,000 from the present 75,000, with an in-built hotel, wrap-around roof, health club, conference and arts centres also included.

The cost of the stadium redevelopment was estimated by an RFU spokeswoman at between STG70 million ($A200.75 million) to STG80 million ($A229.42 million).

The new stand will join up with the rest of the ground, where redevelopment work was completed in 1996, to create a `bowl` type structure.

Provided planning permission is granted, the new stand could be fully in use for the autumn international programme of 2004 when England are due to host three Tests before Christmas.

A redeveloped Twickenham would be a major plank in the RFU`s bid for England to have sole host status for the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

"We believe it will be the best rugby stadium in the world," said RFU chief executive Francis Baron.

"Rugby is becoming too dependent on television revenues. This will diversify those revenues."

Twickenham became the home of English rugby union back in 1907 when the RFU paid the then impressive sum of STG5,573 ($A16,000) for what had previously been a cabbage field.

Old news, I know, but I wonder how it's coming along. If all things go as planned, then it will have to rank as the best Rugby ground in the world!

Here's what it looked like before (or now?):

Here's what it's going to look like:

Southwest perspective

Southeast perspective

Stadium bowl perspective

Check out this little gem of a site for more details:
http://www.rfu.com/microsites/sstand/index.cfm

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Here is another pic of the redeveloped Twickers...

Looks great,although many English fans dont like it because of the design.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Dan wrote:many English fans dont like it because of the design.
Why? Is it the design aesthetics or the design functionality that they don't like? I know the RFU have had to tread lightly due to the sensitivity of local residents.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

James, its not old news, as its just been in the news again, only with the difference that planning permission has now been granted.

As for the best in the world there really are 4 obvious candidates in my opinion( Twickenham,Millenium,Stad.Aus and Stad.France) with little to seperate them. It really comes down to more than just the actual stadium.
I would choose Twickenham, because I like the fact that its rugby only, and houses all England´s games as a real home field.
I also like the stadiums location in the middle of a community and the efforts of the RFU to integrate it in that community such as the fact that it will not be the back of a stand that faces the street, but the front of build-in health clubs and art centres etc. I think thats a real plus in a stadium.

So I would consider it the best rugby stadium in the world, though soon it will not even be the best general football stadium in west London

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I picked Telstra Stadium because it hosts the best Rugby.

GO THE PANTHERS!!!!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It looks very nice indeed. I wonder if Multiplex will be building this one like Wembley.

I would say it is the best rugby Union stadium in the world. The atmosphere, history, name. The name Twikenham is more iconic and well known then Telstra stadium. The ground is always full and provides a great sprectacle, would love to go to one of the best stadiums in the world, in my opinion.

Just wish Perth had a rectangular stadium like this :)