Athens Olympic Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Lucretius
Bronze

Post by Lucretius »

well said 2004

UWG
Bronze

Post by UWG »

First of all a big Hello to everyone in the forum
Yes yet another Greek from http://www.stadia.gr

Having just returned from Greece I have to say that our city "Athens" has gone through a big transformation in the past few years. In order to host the 2004 Olympics not only did we have to build a lot of the venues from scratch but we also had to create the proper infrastructure in order support the games.
1) New highways
2) Significant expansion of the excisting Metro system
3) New Tram system
4) New rail lines linking the airport to Athens and rail lines bypassing Athens to other locations in Greece.
5) The unexpected hightend security after September 11 (1.5 billion Euros to be exact)
The truth of the matter is that we did wait untill the last minute to begin the majority of the projects. That is something that everyone in Greece will agree on. However, the negative publicity that we have been bombarded with the past few years is really unfair due to fact that the information in those articles was completely someone's opinion rather than the facts.
:arrow: stadiumking
There will be a seat waiting for you if you choose to go to Athens this year. I have read numerous news articles about the seats in the Olympic Stadium in Athens. As you can see from this picture the seats have alnmost been installed.
http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-8218 ... b519e48d8}

Bronze

Post by 2004 »

The seats are all installed.

Velodrome

aikinn
Bronze

Post by aikinn »

This is the first time i'm visiting this site. I am from Greece and i'm very dissapointed. First of all i don't blame you, but the media of your country. Reading your posts, i felt like you live in another planet. What are they teeling you down there? First of all about the terror bulshits. We don't have any problem with terrorists. Believe me. US have, British have, you have, Italy has, we don't!!! We don't have soldiers at Iraq, we didn;t support US in this insane 'war'. All these equipment that we bought, is only because US sold it to us and we HAD to buy it. It is true that we are a small country. S it is easy to understand that we HAd to buy all these things. And all this fear about terrorism is because we had to explain why we spent so much money for this reason. It is the same thing like you. Why did you say yes to the 'war'? Because US is strong and they can do whatever they want. They want soldiers? they call you and england, they want to sell guns, they call us. Don;t believe what they say about terror fear in greece. About the stadiums, this is also a lie. We had delays, but everything is done. And of course our stadiums are better than yours, not because we are the best, but because they are newer. And yours where better than atlanta, and beiging;s will better than ours. And what your media are saying is because you didn't managed to sell some pieces of your olympic stadiums to us. Generally, if you want to have a clue about Athens, first wait and second don't hear your media. Your media think that Colloseum is in athens and than the mountain Olympus is Olympia. Talk with Greeks to learn the truth. Sorry for my english. We're waiting you at Athens. It will be great!!!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I love the velodrome, its like going into a space ship.

Well you guys have certainly done well, great to finish it all on time.

Thanks for giving us stadia freaks some of your stadiums.

They look awesome.

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

Last edited by projected on Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

projected
Bronze

Post by projected »

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Waz wrote:I'm wouldn't touch this thread with a 40 foot pole!

Hang on... crap! :?
geeze guys.....how fast do you want to post??!!!

agree with you there waz....pity i already have!