Sydney SuperDome Nominated for International Award

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Jeffles
Platinum

Sydney SuperDome Nominated for International Award

Post by Jeffles »

It isn't exactly sports related but it is still an honour.

The Sydney SuperDome has been nominated for the International Venue of the Year Award. This award is run by industry publication, Pollstar Magazine and nominations come from industry peers, suppliers, agents, promoters and anyone else involved with putting on an event at a venue.

There are 7 nominees. The winner will be announced at the Pollstar Concert Industry Awards at Kodak Theatre (where The Oscars are held) in Hollywood on 6 February.

The Seven nominees are:

Auditorio Nacional (Mexico City)
Brixton Academy (London)
Color Line Arena (Hamburg)
Heineken Music hall (Amsterdam)
Manchester Evening New Arena (Manchester)
Royal Albert Hall (London)
Sydney SuperDome (Sydney)

Concert highliughts for the Sydney SuperDome ths yuear included hosting famouys international acts such as the Rolling Stones, the Dixie Chicks, 50 Cent, as well as Australian Music's Night of Nights, the ARIA Awards.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

There's got to be some irony in the fact that the awards night isn't being held at one of the seven venues nominated for the award! Or should I say that the Kodak Theatre wasn't nominated! :lol: jj!

At first, I confused the Manchester Evening News Arena for the G-MEX. Remember the G-MEX, it was the venue for the gymnastics competition at the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games (the converted Victorian-era railway station).

Manchester's G-MEX

I must confess to tuning into the gymnastics for the chance of catching a glimpse of this magnificent venue!

Anyway, I digress, congratulations to all the people who have made and continue to make the SuperDome a worthy recipient of this nomination. It will face tough competition, especially from the Royal Albert Hall (Last Night of the Proms etc.).

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

There is some irony.

From what I can gather, Pollstar is a US based magazine, hence the awards being held in the USA.

The SuperDome is excited by this award, especially considering its small, nonetheless quality concert schedule.

Royal Albetr Hall is a stunning facility. I went there when I was in London. They host an annual Seniors Tennis Tour Tournament. An absolute gem of a venue aesthetically. But I think the test will be more on service provision.