Lord's

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Watching Cricket at the WACA and SCG I have found that the WACA was so much better viewing, from the position I was at in the Hill and on the 5th day near the Bradman Stand.

Prendiville Stand, the grass hills great close to the action ground, especially when Ian Harvey hits three sixes in an over right where your sitting.

Just a shame that nothing gets played there.

Hmm ifyour talking about slope on a playing field. something I have never understood is that the WACA has a number of trenches and uplifts throughout the ground. AFL game a few years back there where massive puddles in certain areas of the ground and then in others it was hard as rock.

It doesnt have much influence in cricket as the outfield is incredibly fast, something that frustrated me at the SCG the ball took so long to get to the rope and the pace of the ball was so slow, there nothing like fast balling for some instant cricket entertainment.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

Lord's landmark revamp
From correspondents in London
15apr04
THE pavilion at Lord's Cricket Ground is set to undergo an £8.2 million ($19.9m) refurbishment program, the Marylebone Cricket Club said today.

MCC officials want to improve changing facilities for players and officials, redecorate the central Long Room through which all players pass on their way to the field, and construct a new roof terrace.

But plans to renovate the historic London landmark in time for the 2005 English season will have to be approved by the club's 18,000 members at next month's annual general meeting.

If approved, the project will begin in September and last until April 2005; the pavilion would be completely closed throughout this period.

MCC spokesman Iain Wilton said: "That's why we are not hosting any matches when the ICC Champions Trophy tournament takes place in England in September because it would put us too far behind our building schedule.

"We would want the work, if approved by the members, to be completed in time for the start of the next English cricket season."

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Sorry guys, have to put my 2 cents worth on something here. You still can't, and never will, beat Adelaide Oval for a place to watch cricket. Or any other sport that uses a playing surface of that size (Aussie rules, rugby league, union, soccer etc).

Us South Aussies love that ground so much we would happily go there to watch the grass grow..... :wink: