Reebok Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Egan
Platinum

Reebok Stadium

Post by Egan »

My team Bolton Wanderers Reebok Stadium is incredible, it looks and seems like a phenomenol ground. It is the newest ground in the premier league. And I would rate it as the best stadium in the world for a capacity of less then 30,000. What other stadium for a capacity under 30,000 could rival this ground?

It also cost more then 45 million pounds. And has a 125 bed hotel.
'
What a stadium.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

At first glance it seems to employ a similar structural strategy for the roof as Luz, Lisbon.

ImageImage

Britain and Europe really have it over us in sheer numbers of great stadiums. There also seems to be a tendency to spell out words with the seats. I'm surprised Telstra, Suncorp, AAMI, etc. haven't done similar.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

well, I think several stadiums could rival it. Huddersfield and Hull have similar "banana" shaped grounds and more generally, there are dozens of grounds of similar quality with little between them.
Bolton are certainly doing well by staying in the premiership for such a small town

Its a good modern ground, though it was sad to see the end of old Burnden, which used to hold up to 70.000. Of course it had to go, with terracing being outlawed, and few people willing to enter those frightening terraces anyway if they were still there. Has Australia ever had those?

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

I've seen it for a few League internatiopnals, it doesn't come across as anything spectacular. However, the overall design looks great, and the hotel idea is brilliant.

screemin
Bronze

Post by screemin »

pretty good stadium probably the best ground ground in premiership under 30k isn't leicester or southamptons ground newer??

went to the reebok while in uk over christmas for a bolton v leicester match
good atmosphere and good crowd but don't sit in bottom 2 rows or u will get wet

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Last night I watched the second half demolition of Leeds Utd at Reebok Stadium. The ground looked fantastic (due in some part to what must be uncharacteristic northern weather!).

Leeds will be relegated and you can't help but feel for their supporters. Did you see the blubbering child in the stands, waving his Leeds shirt above his head and singing with the crowd? Painted across his chest was "LEEDS TIL I DIE". Scary.

Anyway, great stadium.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

james_ wrote: Britain and Europe really have it over us in sheer numbers of great stadiums. There also seems to be a tendency to spell out words with the seats. I'm surprised Telstra, Suncorp, AAMI, etc. haven't done similar.
According to conceptual drawings for the revised Ericsson Stadium, "Warriors" is going to be spelt out across the top teir on the East Stand.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

It's a little bit bigger at over 48,000, but it's still my favourite - i'm biased, however :P

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Waz wrote:It's a little bit bigger at over 48,000, but it's still my favourite - i'm biased, however :P

Too bad it doesn't have any video screens or electronic scoreboards (that I know of)...

...and character.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Maine Rd had character *sob*

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Isn't Maine Road still there? Now there's a white elepahnt.

CoM is a great ground. Can't wait to watch an RL Test there.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Is it me or does the City Of Manchester Stadium look a lot like the Sydney Football Stadium (Aussie Stadium)???

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It's just you.

Seriously, the blue seats and "wavy" shape sparks some familiarity. But it won't fool me.

Tonic
Bronze

Post by Tonic »

if you ask me it looks more like it's based on a mini version of Stadium Australia with the external cylinder stair thingos and similar stand shaping.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Hmm I still like mine better.

Plus my sides better

Reebok Stadium is a fantastic Ground for a capacity under 30,000.

James it was such a sweet moment beating Leeds, its just a pity I dont have foxtel.