McCartney quits after inspirational return

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Just home from the Footy. What an amazing night. The most emotional sporting event I've witnessed.

A crowd of 43,200 attended this historic match at Telstra Dome to see the return of the public face of the Bali bombing tragedy to the AFL. There was a tribute to the victims of the Bali Bombings which included representatives from all the sports clubs which lost players, and an emotional video. Jason lead the Kangas out on to the ground to the sound of a massive roar. He spent the first quarter on the bench. When he came on after the quarter time break, the crowd again broke out to a massive roar. As he walked down to full forward, everyone, including all the Richmond chear squad, applauded him. He didn't get much of the ball, he managed to kick one behind.

In the last quarter, he marked the ball about 30 meters out and kicked the ball straight through the goals. I have never heard such a roar for a goal. In the final few minutes, Kangaroos hit the lead, however Richmond responded and took the lead back with a goal of their own. The ball again went down to the Kangas goal where McCartnet was standing, as he was being tackled, he managed to kick the ball along the ground to Harding who kicked the goal to win the match for North.

As the siren sounded, the players ran for McCartney. Shortly after, he was interviewed on TV, which also was on the stadiums PA system. At this time, Jason thanked everyone and announced his retirement. Saying the physical and mental pressures where too much to go on.

On a night where tears would have no doubt flowed freely to welcome the return of Jason McCartney to AFL football, few realised it was also a night for farewell.

McCartney announced after Friday night’s thrilling three-point victory against Richmond that this - his 182nd match - was his last.

In a totally unexpected announcement, McCartney told the crowd that he was retiring from the game.

“I suppose this is no better time. I think I’ve used up every bits of my determination … every inch of my determination through my fitness and mental effort and I find it fitting now that I hang the boots up as of tonight and go out after a great night,” McCartney said.

“It’s been a tough time. It’s been a huge mental battle to get where I am today. Physically my body is still healing and mentally it’s been hard carrying the hopes of a nation.”