switching sydney and melbourne tests

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
swede
Bronze

switching sydney and melbourne tests

Post by swede »

england bring ever more supporters on their tours and what might not happen if the team started to perform...
some years down the line England might bring 30.000-40.000 or more, and growing on an ashes tour, especially for the new years test at the SCG, but of course the capacity does not allow that.

would it not be sensible to let sydney and melbourne swap tests? the MCG might sell out every day for such a test in the future

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

The Melbourne and Sydney tests will never be swapped. The traditional Boxing Day test will never be moved from the MCG. 85,000 compared to 45,000 at the SCG. There is just too much tradition to even think of moving it away.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Agree totally Cam, they will never be swapped. Sydney is getting an extra test this year to cope with the demand they got this year. Boxing Day at SCG, youd have to demolish the MCG to see that and you can not see that happening for hundreds of years time, there lies the answer to your question Swede. I was just wondering are you half english? because you seem to be very good on english facts but say nothing abot your own country. You never seem to benefit your own country, and state Swedens stadiums. It seems weird from an Australian point of view.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

no I am not half english, however as most scandinavians (where football is a summer sport)I always watched english football on tv in winters as a kid. it was the only football on tv back then and it is the reason why english football is so popular in the scandinavian countries. Later I have lived in england and also discovered the other english sports, because unlike football they were and are totally unknown in most of the continent. and I guess, I just love the enthusiasm for sport that there is england

as for the tests well just how old is that tradition? historically Melbourne seems to have held many new year tests.
and surely if they had a chance of getting a 5 x 100.000 crowd they might consider it

anyway it was only for the future, England dont quite yet bring with them that number of supporters.