NRL Dally M Boycott

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

NRL Dally M Boycott

Post by Jeffles »

To the mexicans et al, it is the equyivalent to a Brownlow boycott.

Here's a link and editorial article.

http://www.rleague.com/article.php?id=13571

Comment: The Dally M's being called off
Fri Sep 05, 12:42am (NSW)
Written by: Matthew O'Neill
The Dally M Awards have been cancelled due to the Players Association dispute for more money to the lower tier players in the game. NRL chief executive David Gallop was forced to make the announcement at 7pm.

Talks between the Players Association and the NRL brokedown when the NRL quite correctly wouldn't meet every demand from the Players Association. It's an absolute shambles and embarrassment that the Dally M Awards have had to be cancelled and the attitudes from the leading players is nothing short of downright disgraceful.

It's all well and good for the leading players to fight for the rights of the lesser players in the squads to earn the minimum wage believed to be around $37,500. However, have any of these leading players on the $250,000+ contracts said, "I'll take a paycut?" - Not a chance.

Aside from Lance Thompson and Luke Patten, no player has taken a genuine paycut to keep other talent at their clubs.

The NRL has a business to run and they can't pour all their resources into the demands of selfish players and tamper to the players. The NRL has to ensure its operation is kept afloat, clubs don't go broke and the next generation have a chance of coming through.

I'm someone who pours alot of time and energy into the Junior Rugby League and I don't receive one cent for my efforts. I'm there each week as a coach, helping my club with ground maintenance, being involved with fundraisers and also offering my services as a volunteer to the ARL Foundation. I'm not there for the glory, just there to help the game and help the next generation of talent.

Not at any stage can I support the players or the Players Association as all the leftover money at the NRL should be poured back into the kids, the junior clubs and the fans - the real people that make the sport of Rugby League. The players would no where without the junior development and support both at grassroots and at the venues.

The players for too long have taken too much money from the game, the juniors for too long have been neglected and Players Associations in any sport are nothing but trouble with self-motivated interests.

The Dally M's being called off is nothing but a disgrace and the Players Association definitely won't be winning the support of the Rugby League community.

David Gallop said, "The clubs today have made a serious endeavour to show their good faith and to make meaningful progress. Unfortunately the RLPA did not accept our position. I have to put it in the category of bizarre.

"This was so unnecessary. We had made so much progress. It's just frustrating for the game. The game didn't need this. It's not good for the game's image."

The NRL made the progress but the Players Association didn't. The Rugby League public won't be stupid and the Players Association won't be the flavour of the month this weekend.

When the 2001 Kangaroo Tour was called off - the public smelt a rat straight away with the ARL and five leading players at the time and Ashes Series was back on in less than a week.

The Players Association in 2000 threatened to boycott the World Cup to suit their needs on issues. Undermining events is not going to help the Players Association and when it comes to the players asking for more money - the public, which in Rugby League's case is the average blue collar worker - won't support them.

I hope the NRL sticks to its guns, they don't fall to the knees of the Players Association and any money they receive they pour it into areas where it will be appreciated and well utilised. I know there would be plenty of clubs and associations that would need some funding to buy jerseys, tackle bags, footballs and so forth.

The public is already on the side of Gallop and the NRL. The Players Association have walked into a PR disaster and Gallop has the potential to enjoy another PR bonanza but this time for the right reasons.

Jeffles Comments:

The RLPA made a threat and the NRL called their bluff. In all the press the NRL have come out on top. The RLPA are (rightly so) being perceived as greedy and outrageous. Rugby League pays its players more money than any other code in Australia (relative to total revenue). The new gaming taxes proposed for NSW will put the game at further financial strain because many clubs are backed by lliscenced clubs to a big tune.

How can these elite players claim they are looking after the best interests of younger players when one of their sticking points is more money for representatibve fixtures. Mst players won't even play for their state or country. As a volunteer in junior Rugby League I too can see the crisis in funding at a local level when Rugby U**** and AFL move in as they are more cashed up.

Some of the other demands are incredible. Indemnity cover if a player dies in the course of his job (work, training etc) totalling 3 YEARS of the value of their contract. Firstly, what other sports do this (NONE) and secondly, why don't the RLPA advise players to take out life insurance instead of this silly demand. Another demand is for the NRL to underwrite player countracts should a club go broke. A severe compromise of business autonomy that could encourage irresponsible practice on the part of some teams. The main concern for all player (a minimum wage) had been agreed ion. This is a tremendous initiative that lags behind other codes but is better late than never.

What also peeves me off is that my favourite player Craig Gower was in line to win the Dally M award (votes were leaked to the Sunday Telegraph after the announcement). Because of the cancellation, no awards will be announced or honoured this year.

This is such a shame. Rugby League has been progressing so well this year. Heaps of crowds and sponsorship. Hopefully this will be resolved soon without financial constraints to this great game.

Let me know your thoughts.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

This reminds me of the time of the Super League debacle. The players who signed on for the big bucks were made aware that they would be barred from selection in the 1994 or 1995 Kangaroo tour squad. Yet, knowing this, players signed up. Then, Canberra players Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart and Brad Clyde took the ARL to court because they saw themselves as worthy of the squad. They wanted to eat both slices of the pie. The stupid courts found in the favour of the players on the proviso that they had to be considered by the selectors. It was with great loads of laughter and satisfaction from me that Daley, Stuart and Clyde and no other Super League players were picked in the squad.
Coming back to the current boycott dramas: Why can't the relevant players still be awarded their awards, just not in public, especially those who were to be inducted to the Hall of Fame, because past players have nothing to do with this.
I agree totally with Matthew O'Neill: pay cuts to the overpayed top players are the way to go. Otherwise, the clubs will have to get a little better at spending the salary cap.
As a case in point. The Bulldogs have had many problems with Brent Sherwin this year. Every time he plays a great game, his managers are asking the club for more money. This is blackmail in its purest form. I think some of the top players should take their stuffed wallets home and buy some perspective. There are people out there who work much harder and in more difficult circumstances than them and they get paid a lot less.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Excellent points argee. I concur entirely.

I musat aaplaud David Gallop for his conduct. As CEO of the NRL it was his call to cancel the Dally M's. The RLPA made the threat, Gallop called their bluff by cancelling the awards and now the media (even the non-Murdoch media) is siding with the NRL. Good on him.