Crowds coming back to grassroots football

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
riverinafl
Bronze

Crowds coming back to grassroots football

Post by riverinafl »

THE Ovens and Murray league is tipping a crowd of 15,000 will attend the grand final on Sunday following a revised weather forecast. The O&M have had record crowds at 3 of the 5 finals so far this year.

This is on top of the VFL drawing the best finals crowds for 20 years.

Record crowds attending Grandfinals in drought stricken areas of Victoria and NSW

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Was at the VAFA A Section Grand Final today. Old Xaverians won (again). That's their 7th premiership in 9 years in one of Australians toughest and most respected footy competitions.

Match was played in sunny, yet windy conditions at VAFA HQ's - Sportscover Arena (Elsternwick Park) in front of about 4,000 or so. Down on previous years - they usually get around 6,000. It's a great ground though. Located near St.Kilda. Pretty big hill around the whole ground, grandstand, admin building, 6 light towers, each wthi 6 lights on each, electronic scoreboard. http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=45

And there were about 10,000 at the VFL Grand Final today at Optus Oval.

riverinafl
Bronze

Post by riverinafl »

The official attendance at Lavington Panthers Oval was 14,356. The best AFL crowd outside AFL, WAFL and SANFL. It ecplipsed the VFL by 4,000

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

9000 at Dolphin Oval Redcliffe for the Queensland Cup RL final on Saturday. Love seeing grass roots do well.

I went to Brentford 2 days ago (I'm in London ATM) and saw a division 2 match before 5000 (which is 2000 below league average). FANTASTIC

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

We've had some pretty shitty SANFL crowds here in Adelaide recently.... 6000 and 8000 to two finals! Not having Port Adelaide Magpies or Norwood in the finals here is hurting the crowd numbers... :p

riverinafl
Bronze

Post by riverinafl »

Any pics from the RFL game Geoff?[/quote]

The pop up pic is from the GF. I will be adding the GF pics to the Gwans link from RFL Page.

I have added pics from the Murray League GF they are available on MFL Page. The Tocumwal Ground is huge. You could easily fit 15000 in the Ground. One of the pics shows part of the Hill that surrounds half the oval.
MFL got almost 4,000 to their GF.

We had about 3100 at the GF. At least every year now since 2001 the crowds have been on the increase.

If Coolamon made the GF as expected we would have got about 5,000. They have a huge following. The good thing is the RFL Flag has made its way to the M.I.A for the first time. Its also the first time since 1977 that any flag has headed back to the M.I.A.