Possible new team in the SANFL - from NT

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Possible new team in the SANFL - from NT

Post by yob »

This idea was thrown around about 5 years ago now, and it's back again.

Basically, because of the uneven number of sides there is a bye in the SANFL. The crows and power hate this, because their players are drafted by SANFL clubs in a "mini-draft" , to determine where they play when they're out of the firsts - but if they want a player to have a run in the sanfl and their drafted sanfl club has the bye, they have to chuck them in another side at short notice. The solution apparently is a new club to make an even 10 team comp (and here I was thinking it'd be easier just to wait for the Roosters to die, and make the comp an even 8 team comp). Funnily enough, that new club could be from the other side of the continent. Issues such as travel costs are apparently going to be joint funded by the AFL and SANFL.

I think this could be a great move. Develop the game in NT without having to prop up a white elephant AFL club in the region, just like the VFL has a Tassie side.

Does anyone else share my view that the further nationalisation of state leagues could eventually lead to the creation of a second division AFL?

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

the "Divisions thing" will not work in Australia, as we are too big. Put simply, Div 2, 3 etc would have to do the same travelling that the AFL "Premier League" would do, but they would not pull in the same crowds, hence less money... very expensive..

I'd like an NT side in our local comp, but i reckon that'll be pretty expensive too...

guy41
Bronze

hmgv

Post by guy41 »

Just say Hawthorn got wooden spoon, play in the VFL the next year...

Hawthorn vs Box Hill

it's an afl team playing its reserves side. It'll never work. Plus who wants to keep folowing their team in the shoddy VFL/SANFL/WAFL at a suburban ground behind a furniture store compared to the future 100,000 capacity MCG?