Socceroos

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Joey
Silver

Post by Joey »

Nope, there is no prizemoney. The players are playing for credibility and a trophy. Makes it have a bit more raw passion instead of playing for a goldmine.

Btw US Fox Sports, Australia won 3-1 :wink:

libbs
Bronze

Post by libbs »

Our boys up in Singapore head to Bangkok on Wednesday I believe. Had a days rest today....I think they need it after the intense week of training and acclimatising......Good luck boys....

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

And after playing :wink: . Would have been recovery yesterday and then the rest day. I guess a well earned rest, they played reasonably well on Sat nite so deserve it.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

There was actually another match on Sunday night between the Socceroos and Singapore U23's which ended 0-0.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

hot_dogma wrote:There was actually another training session on Sunday night between the Socceroos and Singapore U23's which ended 0-0.
edited for accuracy :wink: In fact the group stage matches will be the same. More half-hearted running around trying to acclimatise and avoid injury. I'm fully expecting some poor results in the first round before they start to gel properly in the 1/4s

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Socceroos seeded top in Asia qualifiers

Michael Lynch
August 6, 2007

Australia's exploits at the World Cup in Germany — where it reached the last 16 — has ensured it earns the No. 1 ranking in the Asian region for the coming World Cup qualifiers.

So the Socceroos will not have to take part in potentially tricky early matches against middle and lower-ranked Asian nations when qualifying for South Africa 2010 starts in October. [/i] Good[/i]

But Australia could still have to play up to 18 matches to make it to the finals.

It is possible it could face New Zealand, favourite to win the Oceania qualifying competition, in a play-off if it fails to qualify directly as one of the best four teams in the Asian region. wouldn’t that be awesome!

Australia, along with the other four teams that make up the top five seeds — South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Japan and Iran — goes straight through to the third qualifying phase, which begins early next year, the Asian confederation has announced.

The third phase is where the qualifying competition heats up, but with matches starting in February 2008 it could prove problematic for Australia.

The A-League will be in the middle of its finals campaign while top European-based players will be right at the heart of their domestic campaigns.

So whoever is coaching the team by then will have to ensure he gets the best available players, as the Asian Cup demonstrated that there will be no easy games for Australia.

The third phase will involve the five seeds alongside 15 other nations that have battled through the first two rounds of knockout games.

The 20 teams will be split into five groups of four, playing each other home and away on a league basis, with the top two teams in each mini league qualifying for the fourth phase.

Those 10 teams are split into two groups of five, again playing each other home and away, and the top two from each mini league will qualify directly for the World Cup finals.

The two third-placed teams will play each other on a home-and-away basis, with the winner going through to a final play-off against the winner of the Oceania region.

The fewest matches Australia would have to play to qualify would be 14, the most 18.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer/se ... 46119.html

Even 7 home WCQs would be awesome. Spread the games around all the capital cities and a couple of major regional cities. More fans get the opportunity of watching the Roos. Hopefully more $$$ for the FFA – which is possible given that we’ve had some pretty big crowds for nothing matches against Paragauy in Brisbane, Greece in Melbourne and Uruguay in Sydney. Hopefully, Perth won’t miss out for once.

And from now on matches against Asian opposition won’t be written off as uncompetitive meaningless matches. That would be the only benefit of the 2007 Asian Cup f**k-up - > Asia is serious.

Can’t wait. :D

Joey
Silver

Post by Joey »

I wouldn't look past 3 home games at the moment.

The first group phase should see matches played in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Then the next phase should see matches played in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

If we have to go through another 2 home games it will be Sydney and Melbourne again.

We have to play these small asian nations in front of huge crowds in Melbourne and Sydney to really put them off.

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Post by Saints-Premiers »

I think you'll find some matches will be played at the new Melbourns stadium and I believe the final qualifier in Australia is to be played at the MCG. I'd like to see a game in Adelaide and less in Sydney.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Saints-Premiers wrote:...I believe the final qualifier in Australia is to be played at the MCG.
no dice

Saints-Premiers
Silver

then I don't know where I read it....

It was something like a marquee game a year including the final qualifier

Saints-Premiers
Silver

And they're playing China in OCtober in.... you guessed it...Aussie Stadium

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

I've gone all Big Kev already!

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Saints-Premiers wrote:And they're playing China in OCtober in.... you guessed it...Aussie Stadium
They're in danger of over-dosing Sydney with matches. Surely that would have been a good match to give to Brisbane or Perth?

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Simmo79 wrote:
Saints-Premiers wrote:And they're playing China in OCtober in.... you guessed it...Aussie Stadium
They're in danger of over-dosing Sydney with matches. Surely that would have been a good match to give to Brisbane or Perth?
Exactly.

Will be Sydney's second game within 5 months. Now I know they have a contract with the NSW Government, but if they also play a game in Sydney next May like they have planned that will be 3 games in Sydney within 12 months, plus the "Blockbuster" between LA Galaxy and Sydney FC.

It's Sydney overkill. As you said, would have been a good game for Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth.

wolves and victory man
Silver

Post by wolves and victory man »

Dasher39 wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:
Exactly.

Will be Sydney's second game within 5 months. Now I know they have a contract with the NSW Government, but if they also play a game in Sydney next May like they have planned that will be 3 games in Sydney within 12 months, plus the "Blockbuster" between LA Galaxy and Sydney FC.

It's Sydney overkill. As you said, would have been a good game for Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth.
Totally agree the FFA is way to Sydney bias. At least go to Newcastle for a NSW match against a nation like Colombia etc.
I think Sydney is starting to take these matches for granted.