Socceroos

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

cam wrote:Socceroos world cup qualifier at Telstra Dome on Wednesday 6th February. Press conference later on today, more details then.
No surprises there cam.

We were always guaranteed the first home qualifier, which was already locked in for Feb 6th, and with the MCG unavailable because of the cricket Telstra Dome was the only viable option.

Plus, I doubt we'd have gotten more than 60,000 anyway so better to cram them into Telstra Dome.

Cannot wait for it.

As for the group, couldn't get any harder. Easily the Group of Death in the AFC, but this is what we are in Asia for. We're not here for a cake walk, we're here for tough, hard games and that is what we will get.

I expect us to qualify though, and we should go through top of the group. Now we need a Coach as soon as possible.

Anthony G
Silver

Post by Anthony G »

I assume Brisbane is next in line for a big game (i.e. socceroos).

Melbourne has been confirmed as the city for this qualifier while Sydney has tomorrow nights FC v Galaxy match

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Anthony G wrote:I assume Brisbane is next in line for a big game (i.e. socceroos).

Melbourne has been confirmed as the city for this qualifier while Sydney has tomorrow nights FC v Galaxy match
I would imagine a breakdown of:

vs Qatar - Telstra Dome, Melbourne
vs Iraq - Telstra Stadium, Sydney
vs China - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Jesus, are Perth and Adelaide ever going to get a look-in?

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

For International Friendlies they should.

cam, any word on that Press Conference today. Can't seem to find anything anywhere?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

I found this on the FFA website...

"The fixture will be distributed once confirmed by the Asian Football Confederation."

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/Ins ... m&id=20408

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:I found this on the FFA website...

"The fixture will be distributed once confirmed by the Asian Football Confederation."

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/Ins ... m&id=20408
I saw that Cheesie, although if we needed any more confirmation this game will be in Melbourne, John Aloisi gave us that tonight.

In an interview on Fox Sports he said that he thinks the A-League players are good enough for when "...we play Qatar in Melbourne".

Obviously as a player he would have received a draft fixture from the FFA of where these games will be played.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Dasher39 wrote:For International Friendlies they should.

cam, any word on that Press Conference today. Can't seem to find anything anywhere?
The press conference was posponed due to delays out of Sydney. Not sure when/if they've rescheduled. Will find out..

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Dasher39 wrote:
Anthony G wrote:I assume Brisbane is next in line for a big game (i.e. socceroos).

i reckon i'd try to get to all of those, should be awesome fun.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

cam wrote:

The press conference was posponed due to delays out of Sydney. Not sure when/if they've rescheduled. Will find out..
Thanks cam!

I'm guessing it may have something to do with The AFC waiting to confirm all the match dates.

Also, having a think a little more also wouldn't be surprised if the Iraq game was played in Brisbane, depends how we want to play it. Do we want to play it in Sydney and have a massive contingent if Iraq fans there, which may assist them, or do we play it in Brisbane where there will be less Iraqi fans thus creating a more parochial home support?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

I know that both Brisbane and Sydney have large Chinese contingents, however up here in Brisbane, Chinese are our biggest population section behind of course Australians being nearly double that of Italians, so maybe the FFA should get gutsy and put the Chinese match in Brisbane and the Iraq match in Sydney and really get some atmosphere happening. Nothing makes for a great atmosphere then a vocal segment for the opponents.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Simmo79 wrote:Jesus, are Perth and Adelaide ever going to get a look-in?
F*** Perth, if Eventscorp can't be assed competing and funding Socceroos games like other states it doesn't deserve them. Plus we have the issue of inadequate stadiums, MES lights are inferior, has standing room and holds 18,000.

And Subiaco Oval is a no go zone.

However Adelaide is still owed its Lebanon game that was cancelled...

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

dibo wrote:
Dasher39 wrote:

i reckon i'd try to get to all of those, should be awesome fun.
ditto

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

FFS sign the f*cker and end this bloody circus!
Verbeek: It's now or never
EXCLUSIVE - David Lewis

Leading Socceroos coaching contender Pim Verbeek - one-time deputy to Guus Hiddink and Dick Advocaat with Korea Republic - is in danger of being poached by Iran as Football Federation Australia deliberates on whether to follow up an initial approach for the Dutchman.

Verbeek, who has made no secret of his desire to fill the void left by Advocaat’s last-minute betrayal, has just returned from Japan, where it’s believed he had talks with Iranian officials.

And the 51-year-old he has a message for FFA CEO Ben Buckley: Give me a call in the next seven days or it will be too late.

”I will certainly have something concrete in two weeks, so I cannot afford to wait for the Australians,’’ Verbeek said.

‘’I told Ben Buckley last week when he contacted me that I had to go to Japan for a few days ... well, now I am back (in Netherlands) and it’s up to the Australians if they want to talk again.”

‘’Maybe they have other ideas or coaches to talk to, it’s certainly not an obligation on them to call me back.”

‘’When we spoke, I was asked if I was interested and I said ‘Yes’. But, of course, they can speak with who they like and so can I. That is not my problem.”

‘’I, too, have the possibly to also go my own way,’’ he added

The FFA, meanwhile, have made serious advances towards Frenchman Philippe Troussier, who declared coyly on Sunday when contacted by TWG: ‘’Now is a difficult time to discuss this issue – there may be a lot more to talk about next week.’’

Both names are expected to loom large when the FFA’s supreme commander Frank Lowy chairs a board meeting in Sydney on Tuesday to discuss who should be anointed to spearhead Australia’s campaign to qualify for South Africa 2010.

Troussier, who took Japan to the last 16 of the World Cup in 2002 and was in charge of South Africa at France 98, has not worked since an acrimonious split with Morocco after just two months in the job nearly two years ago.

It was expected he would re-emerge to pilot Benin at January’s Africa Cup of Nations, but negotiations broke down after Troussier said he only wanted a contract for the duration of the tournament.

That wasn’t good enough for Benin, who had a two-year deal on the table.

Verbeek is in demand after guiding the Koreans to third place at July’s Asian Cup - and his former assistant in Seoul, Afshin Ghotbi, is already working with the Iranians who are seeded third in the region.

He is also on the hit-list of coach-less Korea, whom he helped steer to the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup finals. However, he is not interested in retracing his steps.

‘’Of course I am still keen on Australia. It’s a moving country in football and if I can be part of that I would be very interested but there are time limits on everything,” Verbeek added.

Despite the fact that the Iranians are prepared to pay $6.5million over two years to the right man - around $2million more than the FFA’s budget - Verbeek will still give the Socceroos preference. If the call comes.

Iran have been drawn in the same pool as Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Syria en route to South Africa 2010. More a group of deserts than a group of death.

Australia of course has drawn China, Iraq and Qatar in the third round of qualifiers.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Yeah, friendlies. 'Cos playing in Adelaide did nothing for the Matildas and the Olyroos in their qualification paths.

Plus we're owed a game. I think it's only fair we get one qualifier.