Australia?s summer of tennis

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

the guy wrote:a few reasons why neither the Aus nor US open should change surface.

1. temporary grass courts may be able to handle a davis cup tie, but to host a grand slam they would be completely brown and nothing but dirt by the begining of the second week.

2. if the move to clay then we would have multiple grand slams of the most painfully boring variety, the french open is only for those players that cant win a tournament on real mans surface. CLAY SUCKS, the french open is the worst. (why do you think gustavo kuerton never played wimbledon)

3. both the Aus and the US opens are at the beggining and end of the season repectively, so its not surprising that niggling injuries occur after a long schedule and before they get back into full time playing. (they could cut baack on the amount of meaningless tournaments they play).

4. injuries have never been such a problem as they are this year, i think its just a coinsidence that we are seeing so many injuries this year. perhaps the shoe companies need to pay real workers to manufactur their shoes, not porr 5 year old filipino kids working for 10 cents a day. or just desgn better shoes.
1. perhaps the portable grass courts are not quite good enough yet, but there is little doubt this will change. An australian company is pioneering this, particularly with the portable cricket wickets.The curator at Adelaide Oval is quoted as saying he didnt think it was possible to create proper portable cricket wickets just a few years ago,now its the future and apparently costs are expected to fall. A wicket can even be brought in and out in one piece, a full 75 sq.meters, surely this will also soon be the case for a tennis half-court which is about 120 sq.m
when a half-court can be dropped in one piece, a worn surface can be switched in a few hours unlike now, where the many small sections need weeks to bind. Grass is a great surface, when it isnt too fast, which it doesnt need to be. of course its also the most historic surface and who doesnt generally like grass more than plastic.
In fact I see no reason why not to switch to grass in the future, however right now its probably still too expensive and difficult, but eventually I think it will happen.

2. Totally agree. clay tennis is terrible. It could only be considered, if something was done about the surface or the ball, but grass would be better

3. I doubt that has too much to say

4. well perhaps there has been an unusually high number of injuries, but I think its pretty obvious that hard courts will cause much more wear and tear as well as more injuries, why stick with them when alternatives become more easily available

Tonic
Bronze

Post by Tonic »

the reality is that the quality of tennis is better on a hardcourt than that of a grasscourt as a general rule - i.e. inconsistent bounces eliminated - gives everyone in tournament a chance no matter what style they play thus the 'best' player at the time usually wins - t.v. ratings in Europe won't suffer as they would if Aus Open was on grass - etc....
Thus Aus Open will almost certainly never return to grass due to commercial realities.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Tonic wrote:the reality is that the quality of tennis is better on a hardcourt than that of a grasscourt as a general rule - i.e. inconsistent bounces eliminated - gives everyone in tournament a chance no matter what style they play thus the 'best' player at the time usually wins - t.v. ratings in Europe won't suffer as they would if Aus Open was on grass - etc....
Thus Aus Open will almost certainly never return to grass due to commercial realities.
Why would ratings in europe suffer if it was on grass?? I come from a country where there is nothing but clay courts outdoors ( great to play on for hours on end, horrible to watch elite tennis on)yet Wimbledon have always been by far the most popular tournament, indeed it used to be the only one tv.

Do all styles of play have a chance on hard courts? well now that the tennis authorities have finally managed to kill-off the serve-volleyer, what styles are left. You have painfully slow baseliners who have an advantage at the french and you have your average sluggers whoo will contest the 3 others.
In fact, I believe the balls in this year´s aus open have been made faster, basically a move towards how grass plays, and from what little I have seen, that has worked well. It hasnt brought volleying back, but it seems to have sped up duels. In fact, perhaps that could explain the increase in injuries, faster balls leading to faster play with players having to move around quicker on a stickey surface.

As for inconsistent bounces, well whats wrong with a bit of that. Its very much part of cricket, and I can only fear the day they come up with the "perfect" hard court cricket wicket. terrible. Is tennis better without volleys and without the odd inconsistent bounce? It has brought automatic machine-like baseline slugging.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan

How is the poll going? :D

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

how many votes have been recorded? :wink:

I think 23 votes only.

Hopefully Cam doesnt close it until the votes reach at least 100. As then it will be a fair result, or will have to wait till next year.

You won't change my opinion and it Looks like the Aus Open final will be played between Hopman Cup player Marat Safin and previous hopman cup player Roger Federer.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think Cam should move it to the site's front page.