Greater Western Sydney Giants

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: Greater Western Sydney Giants

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:What are you on about yob? The broadcast side on Subi faces south.
Yeah yeah, you know what I mean - it doesn't face East/West like usual.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Woke up early Saturday morning. Went to synagogue, as usual. Then settled in to watch great game by GWS Giants. They are crossing the Red Sea, but the waves came! Noticed the crowd. Realised that this is not the faith of the majority in Sydney. The chosen obviously follow soccer. Happy to be one of the true believers on their way to AFL heaven ;-)

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

nobleoz wrote:Woke up early Saturday morning. Went to synagogue, as usual. Then settled in to watch great game by GWS Giants. They are crossing the Red Sea, but the waves came! Noticed the crowd. Realised that this is not the faith of the majority in Sydney. The chosen obviously follow soccer. Happy to be one of the true believers on their way to AFL heaven ;-)
So Soda Stadium is your purgatory on the way there? All froth and bubble and no substance.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I think it's gone flat already.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Take it from a Czech, there's no need to play funny buggers with the name. The name speaks for itself.

škoda is the Czech word for "pity."

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

You can call it Czech, but it'll always be Czechoslovakian to old man Sheedy.

St James
Bronze

Post by St James »

I know RL league crowds can be sh*t at times, but why do the AFL lie about theirs?
6600 my arse. :wank: Lucky to have been 3000 there.
3 home games in a row that they've seriously exaggerated the attendance
Small dick disease.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Eh? Looked like one of their better crowds TBH. Pretty well populated behind one of the goals and the members wing. I expected the crowd figure to come in at about the same as the Geelong game.

They probably would have preferred 3000 there to watch it given the utterly shitful effort put in by 3/4 of the players.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Looking at GWS attendances over the 2 seasons so far I would guess that they have a core of about 5k fans in Sydney with attendances boosted by fans of their opponents. I did some calculations a while back based on their first year financial report which showed they would need a 20-22k average to break even. That seems a long way off. Using other codes as a guide, in Sydney attendances rise 25-50% in a really good season for a club with a very occasional 100% increase. Even if the latter was achieved by GWS this would still leave a 10k attendance shortfall.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Lose by 75 points you must....at Yoda stadium.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

St James wrote:I know RL league crowds can be sh*t at times, but why do the AFL lie about theirs?
6600 my arse. :wank: Lucky to have been 3000 there.
3 home games in a row that they've seriously exaggerated the attendance
Small dick disease.
Is it just pride that prevents the AFL from reporting a number closer to the truth?
What is the lowest AFL crowd reported? I imagine something from the dying days of Fitzroy at Witten Oval as they roamed Melbourne looking for somewhere to play their home games?
I went to a footy game that actually *had* 3,800 odd at the game and it was a great day out (except for the result:( ). Port v Norwood - one of the great rivalries in Aussie footy at Alberton Oval. Looks like it was a good weekend to be a Port fan.

Weather held off and it shows that 3,800 who give a rats about their team can make a decent atmosphere.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6664346814

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

The Giants lost their last match to Collington by 40 points

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

bazza wrote:The Giants lost their last match to Collington by 40 points
40 points is an improvement over losing by 40 goals isn't it? give them 10 years...power houses for sure. They'll still play in front of nobody, but they might win games;)

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

At 3/4 time GWS had actually kicked more goals than the Pies. If the rest of the team was performing at the same level as Jeremy Cameron they would destroy just about every team in the comp.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Boba Fett wrote:At 3/4 time GWS had actually kicked more goals than the Pies. If the rest of the team was performing at the same level as Jeremy Cameron they would destroy just about every team in the comp.
That might be so, but it seems to be a statement of faith that once[IF] they start winning regularly, that their crowds will improve. I have my doubts on that. Prior to GWS's introduction, ARF fans in Sydney supported the Swans and non-ARF fans followed football or RL. Where are the fans going to come from?