AFL 2014

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Simmo79
Platinum

Re: AFL 2014

Post by Simmo79 »

Is that income for the leagues or their clubs or both?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The AFL figure jives with income from the league not including clubs.

But there's no knowing their methods and whether they're consistent or not.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Bit of agro in social media over North Melbourne's banner

https://twitter.com/vernievalentos/stat ... 88/photo/1

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

What's with the Thursday night games recently? Not the easiest night to maximise crowds

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide V Collingwood cracked 50k, so I don't think the evidence is there that it's impacting attendance. Overall I think the AFL thought they'd gain more in TV ratings than they would lose in attendance, and so far they're right.

Swans crowd may be a bit light, but not bad.

You know, I reckon the Adelaide based clubs could carve a bit of a niche for themselves with Thursday night games. Adelaide's workforce is very centralised on the CBD triangle bound to North Terrace. Not too many problems logistics wise with getting people there.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

37k+ at the SCG. Thursday night doesn't appear to be impacting attendance. And the ratings uplift is all cream off the top.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Great crowd in Sydney tonight. Thursday night footy over Monday night footy it seems.
And Swans games at the SCG.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

So, 2pm on a Saturday is the complete wrong time to play footy? :roll:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

kilonewton wrote:So, 2pm on a Saturday is the complete wrong time to play footy? :roll:
They have an extra game each round, why not experiment with it?

What I think is most welcome is having enough available time slots that two matches aren't played at the same time. Far more people will watch a game on Thursday night live than the same fixture on replay at 10:30 Saturday night, after already having watched 3 games in a row.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I'm unable to attend or watch any Saturday 2pm matches due to local footy commitments. I'm sure there are many others in the same position.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

While the eventual crowd was 37,000 (which incidentally was the highest attendance at the SCG since the semi-final in 2005), there was probably no more than 20-25k in their seats for the start of the game. The SCG is dreadfully difficult to get to by 7pm on a work-day. Particularly with Vivid on at the moment. Noticeably fewer kids at the game too I thought.

I reckon they would have cracked 40k if it had been on the weekend.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

There's always going to be a demographic that misses out on any given game. More variability in start times/days means a wider a cross section you can reach. If all games were at the same time and day all year there'd be groups that never get to attend.

I think mid week footy is a great idea provided it fits the context. Sydney IMO isn't the best option - access has been mentioned here. But Adelaide is a great option. Having worked in the transport system there, it's a simple fact that the easiest time to get in to the CBD is 5-6pm - all the traffic is jammed getting out, not in. Also, if a state specific public holiday is on then it's a no brainer to schedule either on the day or night before.

Some appreciate having a clean slate for a week end. a 3 hour football game doesn't take 3 hours, it takes your whole day which you could've spent lifestyling it up in the wilderness.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-30/t ... t-a-winner

We'll be getting more Thursday games.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Tune in for Port V Melbourne today if you want to get a look at Traeger Park (Alice Springs).

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Gorman in the frame for CEO of the Lions or Carlton after having taken a percentage of the sale price of the Wanderers. Have to smile at Caroline suggesting that the Wanderers have been a headache for GWS. We play in a different season. The "headache", if that is the correct term, is that the AFL are trying to start a team in part of the country where very few people care about their game and most that do are already welded on to the Swans. If its a "headache" then they will have it for a generation while they create a market for their product.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... z33KF1bNUR