AFL 2014

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Simmo79
Platinum

Re: AFL 2014

Post by Simmo79 »

Boba Fett wrote:While the eventual crowd was 37,000 (which incidentally was the highest attendance at the SCG since the semi-final in 2005), there was probably no more than 20-25k in their seats for the start of the game. The SCG is dreadfully difficult to get to by 7pm on a work-day. Particularly with Vivid on at the moment. Noticeably fewer kids at the game too I thought.

I reckon they would have cracked 40k if it had been on the weekend.
I believe that.

I went to the Iraq WCQ at Homebush with my dad. We left his place on the lower north shore at 5.15 and missed the start of the match at 7.30. It took more than 2hrs to drive half way across town. f**k Sydney week night traffic

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:While the eventual crowd was 37,000 (which incidentally was the highest attendance at the SCG since the semi-final in 2005), there was probably no more than 20-25k in their seats for the start of the game. The SCG is dreadfully difficult to get to by 7pm on a work-day. Particularly with Vivid on at the moment. Noticeably fewer kids at the game too I thought.

I reckon they would have cracked 40k if it had been on the weekend.
I believe that.

I went to the Iraq WCQ at Homebush with my dad. We left his place on the lower north shore at 5.15 and missed the start of the match at 7.30. It took more than 2hrs to drive half way across town. f**k Sydney week night traffic
Same for me trying to get to Moore Park from bloody Lindfield. Glad I don't live in Sydney, I just have the misfortune of getting sucked in to it regularly.

BTW a good indication is to just go by the comments in this thread. At the time I commented the crowd looked "light on" - it was! By the end of the game though I was getting to the "delete delete!" point...

BTW, Traegar Park. Well, it has a boundary fence at least. Crowd of 5,655 looks small but if you go on a per capita basis it's the equivalent of a crowd of 900,000 to a game in Melbourne. :idea:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

...I grew up in Lindfield

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Lindfield holds the title of being the only suburb on Earth where I have literally army crawled away from a bottle of wine.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Goon of fortune?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Always a good sign when your management, coworkers, and union all agree you should be fired.

Josh Bootsma fired for:
It is believed the latest indiscretion involved Bootsma posting explicit images on social media application Snapchat. It is believed there was an exchange of images with a teenage girl. It is understood her mother alerted the club on Monday and Carlton sacked Bootsma that night.
Advertisement

Bootsma's girlfriend is pregnant and due to deliver any day.

Carlton players were informed on Tuesday morning and none raised any objection to Bootsma's contract being terminated. Bootsma was not given the opportunity to address his teammates.

The AFLPA is also understood to be comfortable with the decision, agreeing there had been a clear breach of the player's contract.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/j ... 39g85.html

On ya bike champ :arrow:

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

yob wrote:Always a good sign when your management, coworkers, and union all agree you should be fired.

Josh Bootsma fired for:

no idea who he is but guessing he is a mediocre player?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

bazza wrote:
yob wrote:Always a good sign when your management, coworkers, and union all agree you should be fired.

Josh Bootsma fired for:

no idea who he is but guessing he is a mediocre player?
Only Carlton player to show some balls this season, and we give him the sack...

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

gyfox wrote:Who would have thought…

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-04/a ... co/5499892
Gee, they've concluded that if you reward poor performance, some teams perform poorly.

Groundbreaking stuff.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-04/d ... rting-shot

Andy regrets he couldn't extract enough rent from Victorian tax payers.

Somewhere out there is an AFL player that could've been a millionaire... but is only a 900thousandaire :cry:

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Not sure if this is the right place for this but the Lions training complex has hit some snags.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-05/i ... um/5503778

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

gyfox wrote:Gorman in the frame for CEO of the Lions or Carlton after having taken a percentage of the sale price of the Wanderers. Have to smile at Caroline suggesting that the Wanderers have been a headache for GWS. We play in a different season. The "headache", if that is the correct term, is that the AFL are trying to start a team in part of the country where very few people care about their game and most that do are already welded on to the Swans. If its a "headache" then they will have it for a generation while they create a market for their product.
They should also note the Swans are doing everything they can to not lose market share to the Giants. Competing against Giants for Buddy Franklin seemed to be about not losing the marketing dollars to a cross-town rival.

Swans need to struggle either off field or on field for the Giants to grow. Dockers only got real traction after they made their first finals game - Dockers home derbies used to be 50/50 crowds.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The Gold Coast are playing in front of their first ever home sell out against Collingwood. The stadium looks fairly impressive when packed. It's quite common for away supporters to have a huge presence. 50/50 from the looks of this game. Perks of being on the Gold Coast.

The yank scoreboard end is just a disgrace though. :lol: