Australian Open: January to March???

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
argee
Bronze

Australian Open: January to March???

Post by argee »

What are people's thoughts about the proposal to move the Australian Open to March from 2007 so that the players get a longer off-season.
I think that it would result in lower crowd numbers as the beauty of holding it in January is that it coincides with the school holidays.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

The players complain because they don't get a long enough break and it is too hot. Tough luck. It's hot wherever they play because it is a SUMMER sport. Even Wimbledon has been known to push temps of 40 plus.

I think it is a better move to end the season earlier. The US Open ends in September and the Masters is in November. That should be it. They have too many exhibitions and indoor tournaments around then also which offer loads of appearance money. They players could have a bigger break but they are too greedy and decide to take the appearance fee. Then they wonder why they are so tired come Aus Open time. Come off it. Most tennis players are a greedy lot.

The onlu valid complaint the players could make in my book is about the lack of an Christmas break. My solution would be to move the whole Australian circuit forward one week. Starting in Perth, Hope Island and Adelaide over the New Year period doesn't give players a chance to spend a decent Xmas with their families becasue it is only a few days out from a tournament. Also, if you bring it forward one week you can stil have thee tournaments played during school holidays. It would be easy for the Vic government to accomodate this.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Keep it in January so that the Hopman Cup still gets the top players in the world :),Aussies are doing very well in this tournament so far. Hopefully Lleyton wins it for us. He needs to win his home grand slam, as rafter never did