Warney

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
cam
Gold

Warney

Post by cam »

Bad news about Warney, but anyway, you may of heard the comments by 'Dick Pound' throughout the week, and think they he is quite a wanker. Well, I worked out his email address, so feel free to abuse, I mean, send an email to him. I've done so, and got a quick reply each time.

richard.pound@ioc.olympic.org

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I think the Media and the Public have viewed Warne as the goodie and the ACB as the baddie. If you read between the lines no matter if he did it accidentally or on purpose he took DRUGS, not lollies not candy but he used it knowingly to lose weight. If he thinks hes hard done by think again a 1 year ban is nothing compared with other athletes in other countries and he will be able to resume his criketing career. Really Shane Warne deserves his sentence even though only England,Australia, New Zealand and South Africa test players for drugs. So Sachin Tandulkar could have used it or Muttiah Murilitheran to lose weight while on the sidelines and no one would have known. This has to be patrolled by the ICB not left up to the respective cricket boards in each country. Australian cricket is in mourning today but really it sets a precedent for all criketers. Well Done ACB for making such a tough decision. Bad Luck Warney you have had a great career and im sure people wont remember you by this.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I agree totally Egan and Cam.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I was under the impression that it was ASDA (Aust Sports Drug Agency) that administered the drug test and not the ACB.
Also, I think Shane Warne should think himself pretty lucky to have only got a 12 month ban. And for that matter, Dick Pound actually applauded the sentence. I reckon that if a player from one of the other teams at the World Cup had tested positive to the same thing, most of those who are disappointed with Warne's sentence would probably be up in arms and calling for a longer suspension.
As a VERY well-paid sportsperson Warne should know that he has to be extremely careful when taking anything of a pharmaceutical nature: due to the presence of banned substances (particularly diuretics) in a large number of over-the-counter medications. Surely, the Samantha Riley case is still fresh in the minds of most sportspeople as an example of not checking exactly what is contained in a pill and then suffering consequences.