Sports Coverage on TV

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
argee
Bronze

Sports Coverage on TV

Post by argee »

What is going on with sports coverage in this country? I don't know about the rest of Australia, but here in Queensland we didn't even get to see the AFL Wizard Cup final last night. Not even in the late timeslot. Instead Channel 10 gives us crap movies like Xanadu & The Brady Bunch. Huhh???
Then in Rugby League, today those of us in what is regarded as 'Regional' Queensland (Townsville is the third largest city in Qld behind Brisbane and the Gold Coast- not a hicky backwater) or as they like to call us "WIN's Neighbourhood" we get Newcastle vs New Zealand instead of Brisbane vs Penrith (on Channel 9 in Brisbane, and nowhere else in Qld). That is CRAP. People in regional Queensland would rather see a Broncos game than the endless Sunday afternoons of Knights and Dragons games just because their supporters are also in the broad area known as WIN's neighbourhood (NBN for Newcastle).
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is not happy with the current arrangements.
P.S. Why does Channel 10 insist on cutting out the millisecond of contact when showing hits that will be going to the AFL tribunal.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'm pretty sure that it's part of the broadcasters contract with the AFL that once an offence is reported it can't be replayed.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well on a brighter note, Tv Coverage of the Perth Glory has finally come to Perth. With the game broadcast live around Western Australia from 7:45 pm. It has to come to the finals until the broadcast any of their matches. Also those who have austar and optus in the eastern states will be able to watch the Newcastle United vs Parramatta match which will be sponsored by homeart produced by them aswell. They are also giving an extra $50,000 to the winner of the competition this year. Ill be taping the glorys match should be good to finally watch them on TV.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yeah that's great news about the NSL - finally on TV. There will be a live match every Sunday afternoon on the Expo Channel, a channel owned by Homeart and available on Optus & Austar. They are using the same production company which C7 used. SA also said in the media release that there will be further negotiations with Fox Sports, Channel 7, Sky Sport in NZ, and some channel in Asia.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

For those of us without Pay-TV, my faith in at least one commercial channel has been restored. Channel 10 is actually showing Brisbane vs Essendon LIVE right throughout Queensland (not just Brisbane) on Saturday night. And the game is at the Gabba. Unbelievable. All I can say is that it is much better watching AFL at a civilised hour rather than seeing a good game with your eyes taped open until the game is over at sunrise the following Sunday.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

The coverage of the NSL finals on the Expo Channel is so sh*t!! Although I admit it's better than nothing.
It's like watching an AFL match from the early 90's (with all the graphics etc). It's so cheap.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Explain further the cheapness of the coverage, the Ch7 coverage was failry good, who are the commentators we had robbie dunn and the other Perth based soccer commentator who used to broadcast the World Cup and C7 matches. Who are th ecommentators, it seems funny to have Homeart sponsoring the NSL finals. After the Parramatta v Perth game write some info on the way glory played. Has been a while since 2 games in a row have been broadcast of the Glory. I would think Homeart would only televise the matches in Sydney. As all the games are going to be broadcast at 3:00 pm on a sunday. It seems weird they didn't do it since the start of the year.

Go Glory
( If loyalty is anything to go by we are due for a championship, and the whole state will be cheering when we finally taste the pot of gold in front of the home fans)

markwebber
Bronze

Post by markwebber »

im really pissed with ch9 cause the raiders are on top of the table and we arn'nt getting any games. :twisted:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I agree Markwebber. So slack for the Raiders. No wonder they are struggling for a major sponsor. Ch 9 say it's because they don't rate well in Sydney. Good football will get good ratings. The Raiders are playing very good Rugby League at the moment. I hope Ch 9 wakes up to this.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Much to my surprise NSL soccer returned to free to air tv tonight although in front of a small 3088 people at North Sydney Oval. It was great to see another game on free to air tv after it looked set to be dished until the NSL grand final after channel 7s inexcusable and uncomprimising position it stood on the home finals issue resulting in the glorys second lowest crowd in history. Yet the low budget Channel 31 took over with coverage supplied by Expo tonight which looked top class although the coveraging of the Trotts from Gloucester Park was very annoying and resulted in me not being able to see the third goal. Although we did impede on there air time. The Glory will have a delayed telecast of the two remaining home games. Congratulations Channel 31 not only on your coverage of Soccer but live ING and Pura Cup Cricket and showing the first sessions of the ashes test when Ch 7 did not want to show the first session a few years back. You certainly do give the people of Perth the opportunity to watch sport dished and thrown out by the Commercial stations. Congratulations