Austadiums Travel Thread

Discuss anything and everything, right here!
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: Austadiums Travel Thread

Post by Jeffles »

Dasher39 wrote:I'm going against the grain...I'm moving to Adelaide.

Make the big move across on Sunday, moving across to live with the missus who has just purchased our first home!
Good work. Put the feet up while she does all the hard work. :lol:

Have you picked your SANFL team?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

He's in a spot of bother - the only navy blue team is South Adelaide, but they don't win. Tough decisions to be made.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I'm going to the UK and southern Portugal in three and a half weeks. Only a 16 day trip but I'm looking forward to it.

For the sport nuts, I'll be taking in a few grounds. Staying up north so will be watching lots of RL. On the soccer front, I'm hoping to go to Bolton Wanderers v Fulham or failing that Oldham Athletic v Notts County.

Would like to visit the main grounds in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Going to London for a few days. The priority is to see Wembley, and Wimbledon as well as grounds I didn't see last time but that will depend on time. I'd like to go to Greenwich. Anyone done that? Is it worth it?

Also thinking of going to Glasgow or Edinburgh for the night. The good thing about staying near Manchester is that you're three hours on the train from most places if you want to see the Britsh Isles. In Portugal, I guess I'll mainly be at the beach, although with two teams from the Algarve region in the top flight (first time since 1988-89), I may have to pay a visit.

Anyone here spent much time in Manchester? I know not many Aussies tend to venture north. Any tips?

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

redsfan wrote:

Make the big move across on Sunday, moving across to live with the missus who has just purchased our first home!
what suburb ya moving into dude?
She's bought a house in Golden Grove, which is great for me as my brother lives about 2 mins away.

Haven't picked an SANFL team yet, will have to watch a few games and see which way I go.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Dasher39 wrote:
redsfan wrote:

what suburb ya moving into dude?
She's bought a house in Golden Grove, which is great for me as my brother lives about 2 mins away.

Haven't picked an SANFL team yet, will have to watch a few games and see which way I go.
You're in Norwood's zone. :tape:

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Jeffles wrote: Would like to visit the main grounds in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Going to London for a few days. The priority is to see Wembley, and Wimbledon as well as grounds I didn't see last time but that will depend on time. I'd like to go to Greenwich. Anyone done that? Is it worth it?
Greenwich is nice - I didn't go into the museum, but some nice buildings in the barracks, and a good view of London from the top of the hill. I think the observatory is there as well
Jeffles wrote: Anyone here spent much time in Manchester? I know not many Aussies tend to venture north. Any tips?
Been to Manchester a few times - not that impressed tbh - probably because I couldn't find the cool nightlife that most peole talk about. You might catch some good bands around the Northern Quarter (just north of Machester Piccadilly Station)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Cheers bazza. I'm staying in Littleborough which is to the north-east of Manchester in Rochdale. Right on the edge of the Pennines.

Hoping to catch Leeds v Saints in the Cup semi, Saints v Bradford at Knowsley Rd, Leigh v Toulouse and three Rochdale Hornets games including the game against Oldham. Might bump into spud!

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

be sure to ask him why england didn't win the 08 world cup!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote:Hoping to catch Leeds v Saints in the Cup semi, Saints v Bradford at Knowsley Rd, Leigh v Toulouse and three Rochdale Hornets games including the game against Oldham.
Or see some wildlife.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

excelent seals up there.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

yob wrote:You're in Norwood's zone. :tape:
The missus currently lives in Athelstone...even further into Norwood's zone, she is a Redlegs fan herself too.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Dasher39 wrote:
yob wrote:You're in Norwood's zone. :tape:
The missus currently lives in Athelstone...even further into Norwood's zone, she is a Redlegs fan herself too.
I went to high school in Athelstone. It's a Norwood tribe. Try doing year 11 PE with basically half your class die hard norwood and your PE teacher at the time Peter Rohdes being the coach. We'd egg him on so hard that he'd spend 10 minutes teaching and 30 minutes justifying to Marco why he was playing his brother in the reserves.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

apparently Nines is travelling around Europe

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728364

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Simmo79 wrote:apparently Nines is travelling around Europe

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728364
Seems "he" is friends with Barkly Street End, Mr Football. They deserve each other. :D

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

BSE is on The Roar as "Pippinu" or BSE, and 442 and BigFooty and has his own blog about AFL which is mostly dedicated to slammng the WC bid. He's completely gone off the deep end. You can pretty much picture him frothing at the mouth every time he writes something about the 2022 WC bid.